are Drivers available for Arch Linux(manjaro) platform? (travelmate tmp-449-G2-M)

Options
a_0vi
a_0vi Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
currently using travelmate tmp-449-G2-M on windows 10.

want to switch to Manjaro (kde). but are there all the drivers (specially FINGERPRINT reader)  available for manjaro?

if so, please provide me with the links.

thank you.

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    there was an attempt a couple of years back to get this reader working with linux but it wasn't completed. It's on github (if my memory recalls correctly).    I have the same reader (on a Swift running Manjaro kde).  It's worthwhile joining the Manjaro forum as there is a wealth of knowledge there (and some very adept Arch users too).  https://forum.manjaro.org/

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good Morning a_0vi !

Do you have knowledge of Linux distributions?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• a_0vi
    Options
    @MaClane
    not that much, but i want to shift to linux!
    that's why i need to know if all the drivers are available for Manjaro kde plasma or not.
  • MaClane
    Options
    Most Linux drivers are installed via the command terminal.
    Many proprietary hardware drivers do not have adequate support, such as FINGERPRINT.
    In this case, the base must be downloaded and recompiled according to the hardware ID.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• a_0vi
    Options
    MaClane said:
    Most Linux drivers are installed via the command terminal.
    Many proprietary hardware drivers do not have adequate support, such as FINGERPRINT.
    In this case, the base must be downloaded and recompiled according to the hardware ID.
    @MaClane
    how to download the base and recompile it according to the hardware ID ? 
  • MaClane
    Options
    How well do you know C, C ++, Assembly programming?
    Do you have advanced knowledge of Linux systems and command shell?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• a_0vi
    Options
    @MaClane i know the basics of c and c++.
    no knowledge of assembly programming, linux system and shell; but willing to learn.
  • MaClane
    Options
    So I suggest a long study and a lot of advanced knowledge.
    They are not procedures that can be learned in a forum.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I think the key point here is that most Linux distributions don't do all that much porting of drivers unless the hardware is very widely used, and most system manufacturers don't do drivers for OSes they don't ship. You might be able to get the bulk of the functions working on the most popular Linux distributions but for the really esoteric stuff, like fingerprint readers, you are likely going to have to develop them yourself. With a fingerprint reader the drivers have to be compiled into the kernal so they will be available at startup.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2020
    Options
    a_0vi said:
    currently using travelmate tmp-449-G2-M on windows 10.

want to switch to Manjaro (kde). but are there all the drivers (specially FINGERPRINT reader)  available for manjaro?

if so, please provide me with the links.

thank you.
    First, drivers are dependent on the linux kernel, and there is only 1 linux kernel for the different distro's like Manjaro. The newer the kernel version, the more hardware it can/will support, but at a cost of instability, like sleep/suspend not working properly. Manjaro is one of the distro's that like to "play with fire" and have rolling/constant releases and the newest kernels.

Your laptop is not the newest and does not seem to have exotic hardware for linux, except for the finger print reader, so I would not worry much to have the latest kernel.  If I were you, I would just start off with Kubuntu 18.04 LTS - the KDE Plasma flavour of Ubuntu - , i.e. with long term support, and very stable.

And last but not least, you dont need to collect the drivers first, the live USB installation process will detect and install the drivers for you. Before installation, you can test if the different parts will work - the finger print scanner definitely will not work.

BTW. you always can try out newer kernels with a kernel download tool called ukuu available with the LTS version

Good luck!
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    BTW just checked again if the Egistec fingerprint scanner in my Acer laptop is supported.

You can try for yourself by means of the following guidelines: 

https://fprint.freedesktop.org/supported-devices.html - the list of supported fingerprint scanners. This does not mean that the driver is there in stable release version

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/enable-fingerprint-scanner-support-on-linux/ - here you can try if your fingerprint device is recognized.

In my Acer, the fingerprint device did not have a linux driver - unknown device, and was being identified as the Egistec (Lightuning) 0570 device.

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    there was an attempt a couple of years back to get this reader working with linux but it wasn't completed. It's on github (if my memory recalls correctly).    I have the same reader (on a Swift running Manjaro kde).  It's worthwhile joining the Manjaro forum as there is a wealth of knowledge there (and some very adept Arch users too).  https://forum.manjaro.org/