Future Upgrades and Correct RAM Placement

Thrawn003
Thrawn003 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
What is the correct RAM placement for an ACER Predator G3=710. I know it is odds or evens, but I wanted to know exactly what the placement is. Also to upgrade to an I7, could I do it with these specs? What is not on here is that I am using the stock motherboard, stock PSU, 500W, and a NVIDIA GTX 1660 graphics card. Thanks for any help or support. The ram are 2 x 16 GB 2400.

Answers

• According to the manual, this is the configuration for the ram of this model:

The b150 chipset supports these processors: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/B150.html

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Thrawn003
    Okay. Thanks for the help on that. Nearly every I7 can be used. The ram placement, odds or evens or does it matter, if you know
  • All ram slots accepted the specifications that I mentioned above.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    The only thing I know for sure is there are two different G3-710 mainboard versions. R01 and R02. On the older mainboard, it appears they (Acer) installed skylake CPUs (BIOS version R01-xx).    I'll assume @egydiocoelho has inside info on CPU compatibility.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Edited previous post.  
  • JordanB
    edited February 2020
    Here’s a video from YouTube.   Not everything he says or does in the video is completely accurate or recommended, but...  here’s the video. 
  • Thrawn003
    Thanks. It says Dimm slot 1 and 2 for each 16GB stick. I put them in one and two, then received the beeping of doom. I put them back in dim 3 and 4 and they worked. I think someone installed my slots backwards.
  • What happens when you add 8gb ram into slots 1 and 2?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    edited February 2020
    Thrawn003 said:
    Thanks. It says Dimm slot 1 and 2 for each 16GB stick. I put them in one and two, then received the beeping of doom. I put them back in dim 3 and 4 and they worked. I think someone installed my slots backwards.
    That’s kinda why I posted the video from YouTube.  I was hoping the YouTube video would help you identify which dimm slot is which. 

I think/assume the general idea is that Acer sent him out a free G3-710 and he's supposed to show you how to upgrade ram, ssd, etc. on his Youtube channel.  I guess you could ask him a question in the comments of his video.

I'll post the video again in case you were too busy to watch it the first time that I posted it.

https://youtu.be/_yvKjakrpN4
  • Thrawn003
    Thanks for all of the help. I will try evens or the black slots to see if that works because right now it is in 3 and 4
  • JordanB
    edited February 2020
    Yes, I would go with black as per video since the ram came pre-installed in black.

CPU-Z does show slot # but not completely sure how accurate CPU-Z is on actual slot #, but then again not sure how accurate his video is either.  The service guide doesn't help much on knowing which slot is which.  I guess it's possible that whoever wrote the service guide just assumed that people would use CPU-z or would populate all slots and it would never come up as a question.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

You can also get info from command prompt....

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-full-memory-specs-speed-size-type-part-number-form-factor-windows-10