acer aspire r11 r3-131t

ladyangua
ladyangua Member Posts: 9 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I'm trying to revive my son's netbook for my own use, it's an Acer Aspire R11. We replaced it because the battery suddenly lost charge and he needed a laptop for school so I just bought him a new one.

I recently bought a new battery for it, tried all the tricks to reset the battery and it wouldn't charge. So I bought a new charger and it still won't charge.

I have used the battery reset; used the power button to discharge power; deleted the drivers and checked for bios updates.

Could there be another component that is preventing charging? How would I test for it? The laptop works when plugged in.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Me too. The very low 6-8% state of charge when you received it is definitely not good. If it was mine, I'd return it to the battery vendor as defective for a replacement or refund before the vendor's RMA returns period ends. Usually less than a month. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>The laptop works when plugged in.>>>

Did it work on the new battery alone when you first put it in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    JackE said:
    >>>The laptop works when plugged in.>>>

Did it work on the new battery alone when you first put it in. Jack E/NJ

To be honest I can't say yes or no I don't remember the exact sequence. The battery came with a minimal charge about 6% or 8% and it has dropped since then.
  • JackE
    OK. Then does it work without the battery connected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    No the laptop won't turn on if I remove the battery.
  • JackE
    >>>I recently bought a new battery for it>>>The battery came with a minimal charge about 6% or 8% >>>

Where'd you get the 'new' battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    A site called acerlaptopbattery.com.au. It was new, just off-brand, they claim every battery is tested before it goes out. I've tried putting the old, original battery back in but it still won't charge.
    I forgot to say the reason I bought a new charger was a friend tested the old, original charger and it was only putting out 1/2 the amps it was supposed to. I hope that would fix it but sadly no.
  • JackE
    >>>The battery came with a minimal charge about 6% or 8%>>>
    >>>they claim every battery is tested before it goes out.>>>

I wouldn't expect a new tested battery would be anywhere near a critically low level like this upon arrival. Just about any battery that sits around for a long period of time at a low charge level like this is hard to bring back.

I suggest turning the laptop completely off. Plug the charger back in. If the battery LED indicator is solid orange, let it continue to charge in the off state for at least another 24 hours or until the battery LED has turned blue. By that time, the battery should have enough charge to boot the laptop without the charger plugged in. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    Sorry, I have already done that. The laptop isn't charging the battery and I don't get any lights. I'm trying to troubleshoot what other components would cause the fault. I've ruled out software, so it has to be hardware.
  • JackE
    Does the battery LED blink on & off when the charger is plugged in and the laptop booted up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    Hi, thanks for your continued help, sorry I did not get back to you yesterday.
    I worked something out IDK if it means anything.
    With the NEW battery, the battery LED does not blink or come on at all while plugged in and booted up (the power LED does come on) nor does it come on when plugged in and shutdown.
    With the OLD battery, the battery LED does not blink or come on at all while plugged in and booted up (the power LED does come on) but it does blink when plugged in and shutdown.
    I believe this indicts a bad battery and is the reason I replaced the battery in the first place. So is the computer not recognising the NEW battery at all?
    Thanks again for your help.

• JackE
    >>>With the OLD battery, the battery LED does not blink or come on at all while plugged in and booted up (the power LED does come on) but it does blink when plugged in and shutdown.>>>

What does blink when plugged in and shutdown? The power LED blinks or the old battery LED blinks? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    It's the Battery LED, I double-checked as I know the power LED blinks if the laptop is asleep.
  • JackE
    >>>It's the Battery LED, I double-checked >>>
    So the Battery LED blinks with the old battery when shutdown plugged in. But not with the new battery ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    Yes.
    This is making me think it could be the new battery.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Me too. The very low 6-8% state of charge when you received it is definitely not good. If it was mine, I'd return it to the battery vendor as defective for a replacement or refund before the vendor's RMA returns period ends. Usually less than a month. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• ladyangua
    Thanks for your help. I'll mark it as solved I guess, If I have any other questions I'll start a new thread.