Aer ConceptD CN515-51 constantly overheating

McLvin
McLvin Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello,

I have a ConceptD CN515-51 2 months old. It has the i7 8705G paired with an Radeon RX Vega M GL.
Although the laptop is still new, i have really bad overheating problems. I can play for about 15 to 20 minutes until the system does an emergency shutdown.
While playing the WASD keys become so hot that it is unpleasant to press or hold them. To be honest, that really makes me angry and kind of sad on a Laptop for which I spent about 1600EUR. 

Any feedback is appreciated. 

Regards,

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    That is certainly not usual, I'd contact Acer support immediately and let the warranty handle it. There aren't a lot of issues that can cause that level of heat generation, and some of them can be dangerous.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • McLovn
    McLovn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

for other users having the same issues I just wanted leave a comment. Reading much about the bad pasting on Acer laptops, I decided to repaste the CN515-51 on my own. The sad part about it is, that I maybe lost my warranty, and that of course the inside is not as tidy anymore as it had been before (there is a lot of duct tape which I had to loosen). What I found was (like mentioned in other threads) a CPU-GPU combi with almost no thermal compound on it. The paste which covered the chips only partly was like 70% dry. Imagine that on a 3 months old laptop.
    So I repasted CPU and GPU with some (average quality) paste from EKWB I had lying around.
    I can't find any tool that is able to read out temps of the Concept D, but I can confirm that I played on it for an hour now without any shutdowns or throttling problems. It makes me kind of angry thar Acer obviously still tries to save on a few-cent-article.
    I am pretty sure, that if I had sent my laptop in on warranty, they'd either done nothing or used the same paste they used before...with me having no laptop for weeks...

Kind regards,
  • Puffin
    Puffin Member Posts: 3 New User
    Well done, my laptop is the same, getting very hot Concept D, I paid 3,200 euros for this machine. Looks like we have got more china rubbish products from Acer.....
  • Romy030
    Romy030 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem. Editing photo's in photoshop is only possible for 15 - 20 minutes. After that my laptop gets to hot to handle..

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

My laptop is 2 months old.