Predator X35 refuses to update firmware, regional support claims different hardware

Options
Jarnis
Jarnis Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
I tried to update my X35 with the firmware updater that was published.

This updater fails about 15 minutes remaining with monitor turning off and not waking up (I've waited an hour). Power cycling the monitor gets it back up with the updater on screen showing that the update failed because it could not communicate with the monitor.

I tried contacting Acer support directly and was told effectively that the hardware inside the monitor is different in US vs. European/Nordic models and that I should send the monitor to local repair center for firmware upgrade.

Why would you have such silly differences in hardware? How about releasing the firmware updater for ALL models of X35? I don't want the massive hassle of having to pack up the massive monitor and being god knows how long without it.

Also in the future please label your hardware if you release incompatible regional variants so I can avoid buying them.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll try to escalate this up to see if they are planning on continuing the roll out to other locales, and suggest Finnish as an early step. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Jarnis
    Options
    And before anyone asks;

- Yes I turned off HDR
    - Yes I disconnected secondary monitors
    - Yes my monitor is not in OC mode and actually is running in 144hz mode
    - Yes I turned off G-Sync
    - Yes I'm obviously using DisplayPort
    - Yes I have qualifying GPU (2080ti)
    - Yes I DDU reinstalled NVIDIA drivers and closed all background programs
    - Yes I checked the serial and it matches with the serials mentioned in the support article (ie. this monitor applies)

• billsey
    Options
    The hardware difference they allude to is the different firmware language and possibly a different power supply. Because of the language difference the firmware checksums won't match and the installer aborts before trying to erase the old image. If they didn't do that they'd end up seeing a lot of bricked monitors when people would try the update on different models. Which locale did you purchase the monitor in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jarnis
    Options
    Finland. Looks like the language options of the OSD (didn't even think that anyone would bother localizing a monitor OSD of such a small volume product) might be the reason. There is a bunch of languages here that I can understand not being in the US version - looks like OSD supports Russian, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch? ("Hollands"), Finnish, Turkish, Polish, Portugese, Brazilian Portugese, Chinese (both simplified and traditional), Japanese and Korean.

So, then question is; Why doesn't Acer release the firmware updater for each variant and have the installer read the variant off the monitor and then apply the right firmware?

I'm not pleased of the idea that I'd have to ship this monitor somewhere for a simple firmware flash.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll try to escalate this up to see if they are planning on continuing the roll out to other locales, and suggest Finnish as an early step. :)
  • billsey
    Options
    @Jarnis the update is provided OTA (Over The Air) and you shouldn't have to do anything to have it install. The word from the Acer folks is that if you monitor is in that serial number range it'll happen automatically.
  • Jarnis
    Options
    What? How do they plan on doing that? Via Windows Update or NVIDIA driver or something...? Or is someone mighty confused between monitor firmware updates and general (laptop) firmware updates?
  • billsey
    Options
    Ah, my mistake, it's not OTA just the same manual download/install you have been trying. It looks like sending the monitor in to let them flash it be your best bet. :(
  • Jarnis
    Options
    Not acceptable. Acer just entered "never buy another product" list for me until you provide a firmware update I can flash.

Alternatively onsite swap to a working monitor is acceptable.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Jarnis said:
    Not acceptable. Acer just entered "never buy another product" list for me until you provide a firmware update I can flash.

Alternatively onsite swap to a working monitor is acceptable.
    We are very sorry you're experiencing this issue while trying to update the firmware version to your monitor, my best recommendation is to follow the agent response and have the monitor sent for repair to our local service center. Unfortunately, the Acer Community is not a direct portal to Customer service, Acer employees may read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer moderators may interact with members when appropriate. (case by case basis), primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, case status, complaints, parts requests/orders or sponsorship/donations request.

Note: This thread will be closed. 

Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.