Better battery life in Linux on SWIFT 314-56G laptop

ed4myra
ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Here some experience with improving battery life in Linux on an Acer laptop.

Laptop: Acer Swift 314-56G with i5 + nvme SSD, HDD

Peppermint has been recommended by vloggers to be light weight, while Budgie desktop has a modern look and feel.

Before optimization I had 4-5 hrs in Linux compared to 6-7 hrs in Windows. Now in Linux battery life is similar to Windows. 
On Windows I use undervolting and powercfg /sleepstudy to check which drivers still use power during sleep. 

Note that due to the Acer BIOS/firmware limitations, some drivers both in Windows and Linux could not use it's full power efficiency potential.
For example I noticed that in suspend mode, the audio controller and wifi still use power, even though the wifi radio is disconnected.

In Linux I use for better battery the following tools:
- tlp 1.3 to optimize in conjunction with kernel driver settings. Note you need to get the latest version from Github as the current apt package does not support/recognise nvme ssd disks
- grub to set specific kernel driver to enable, in this case the intel_pstate driver
- powertop (for reporting and manual tuning)

Here some screen shot results of Powertop:

Above report is made in low intensity laptop reading mode.  Note that display backlight (brightness set at 1, 0 is black) uses the most of your battery, almost 80% in laptop reading mode. With the nvidia optimus switch in Linux, I chose for intel gpu, thats why 100% usage. Nvidia gpu does not use any power. Similar to Windows the input devices like trackpad,audio controller and wifi/bluetooth use power as well.
Note that the ssd and hdd are automatically suspended - so no power - because no disk I/O activity happened.

The last column of the Powertop report give some recommendation what is OK and not OK.
Except the 2 on top (Bad), the other items are in line with TLP's work of battery management.

With regards to the first 2 Bad items, here Powertop is NOT in line with the recommendations that the expert/maker of TLP has suggested for the config settings to be used. The TLP expert just follows Linux kernel recommendations with regards to the SSD/HDD - first Bad item.

Bottom line: with a little bit of reading and work you can get Linux as power efficient as Windows. Next project: undervolting in linux.