TC-885 Wireless keyboard tilt switch? Putting computer to sleep.

hubrad
hubrad Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2020 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi all, I've had the TC-885 for about 2 weeks now, and generally it's excellent.
Just noticed an odd thing today.. when using the wireless keyboard (only occasionally use it, as the buttons are a bit unpredictable so I need to be watching the screen closely to make sure my keystrokes have actually been registered!), if I either tilt the keyboard as if to stand it on end, or if I keep it flat but move suddenly, the computer goes to sleep, and I have to log back in after a few seconds wake-up.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've not had a wireless kb before, and if it's typical behaviour I won't have one much longer, either! :-D
[typing on a USB cabled kb!]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    It sounds as if the wireless keyboard isn't running right. Is there any chance there is electrical noise interfering with the signal between the keyboard and sender? There is typically a sleep key or key combo, and it's just possible something is sending that spuriously. Try moving the sender dongle to a different USB port maybe?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hubrad

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    It sounds as if the wireless keyboard isn't running right. Is there any chance there is electrical noise interfering with the signal between the keyboard and sender? There is typically a sleep key or key combo, and it's just possible something is sending that spuriously. Try moving the sender dongle to a different USB port maybe?

Cheers, billsey.. I tried that just now, moving the dongle to the front USB. No difference, I'm afraid.
    Glad, in a way, as if it would only work thus then the useful front port would be blocked! Also considering the USB ports are down the back, below the mains cable and in the middle of all the others that'd be a bad bit of design. Not that, anyway, but thanks for the suggestion.
    A bit more experimentation, and the mouse appears to be a contributory factor. I never use a mouse, as I've used trackballs for most of the last 20 years, so the mouse was not even switched on. Mouse on and the keyboard seems fine at the moment (sleepywise, at least, but it's still sooo frustrating to type on it, as so many keystrokes don't register). Sounds like a call to Acer Service (somebody posted what looked like a USA number then deleted it, but I'm in UK) to find out what's going on there, as if the battery powered mouse has to be on for the keyboard to function properly then it's still a big black mark for the wireless kb.
    I'll report back.
  • hubrad

Tinkerer

Haha, just phoned Acer UK, time 1221 Thursday here, and got a recorded message saying 'Our office hours are 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays' then the line was cut off.
    Doesn't bode well for customer service!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Heheh, sounds like they all took lunch at the same time. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hubrad

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Heheh, sounds like they all took lunch at the same time. :)

Yup, for the whole day!
  • hubrad

Tinkerer

Just to complete this thread, I ended up scrapping the wireless kb and mouse and just used my existing wired kit with no problems.

Ho hum!