Can't use Hotspot on Acer swift 3.

Options
Hlaing
Hlaing Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi,  I am a user of Acer Swift 3 and I have a problem in  Wifi Hotspot.
I just bought a new acer swift 3, yesterday and I found a problem;that is I cannot open hotspot for personal uses.Although I see a hotspot icon in the right bottom of my laptop,It is vanished and unable to open.But it is able to use Wifi.What should I do? Please Help me because I do not want to contact to Showroom.

Edited the content to hide personal information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hlaing said:
    Hi,  I am a user of Acer Swift 3 and I have a problem in  Wifi Hotspot.
    I just bought a new acer swift 3, yesterday and I found a problem;that is I cannot open hotspot for personal uses.Although I see a hotspot icon in the right bottom of my laptop,It is vanished and unable to open.But it is able to use Wifi.What should I do? Please Help me because I do not want to contact to Showroom.

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
    Make sure to update your windows to latest version. Most of the issues gets resolved after updating the BIOS.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • jdhodgso55
    jdhodgso55 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    All my wifi network connections on this Swift 3 work except for accessing wifi personal hotspot, specifically connecting to my iphone. I can connect to this same iphone from other laptops so it seems the issue is with my Acer. I ran the "trouble shoot function". It recommended resetting my Network setting which I did but nothing changed. My Widows 10 is updated to the latest version. Should I download drivers as my next attempt to fix this? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    @jdhodgso55 it's best if you start a new thread with your question. It sounds like you are trying to connect the laptop to a hotspot rather than using the laptop as a hot spot. Include your full model number (should be SF3xx-xxx-xxxx), what's happening and what you have tried so far. I'm leaning toward it being an issue with the type of hot spot the iPhone is creating, so we just need to reconfigure your Windows settings to allow connection.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jdhodgso55
    jdhodgso55 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Yes you are right I had been trying to connect my Acer laptop to my iPhone hotspot. I could have made this clearer. I've owned this laptop since 2017 and have never previously had a problem connecting to my iPhone hotspot until a few weeks ago.

Earlier yesterday I tried fixing the issue again. I found the following suggested solution on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-rejects-iphone-hotspot-connection

It worked!! I had actually browsed over this same suggestion the first time I tried fixing the issue but since I had not changed my iPhone hotspot password I ignored it. This time I simply clicked Forget this network, found it again on my list, entered my iPhone Wi-Fi hotspot password and I was back in business. I don't know why it stopped working but I've learned from this experience to not over complicate some issues. Hope this helps others having the same issue.

Here's the steps from the answers.microsoft.com site:

"Did you change your hotspot password recently? If you did then forget that network on your PC wifi settings"
    1 Press Windows Key + I shortcut to quickly open the Settings app.
    2 When Settings app opens, navigate to Network & Internet section
    3 From the menu on the left select Wi-Fi. Now click on Manage known networks.
    4 List of memorized Wi-Fi networks will appear. Select your Wi-Fi network and click the Forget button.
    5 Then connect to your hotspot network again.

"If that doesn't help try uninstalling your wireless software driver windows will re- install this one next reboot."

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good to know, that will likely help a bunch of others lurking here. :) Likely what happened is the password saved in the profile for that hotspot got corrupted. The forget/reattach process rewrites the password.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.