Options
    If you did, I don't see it yet. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Arkroyale
    Arkroyale Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    If you did, I don't see it yet. Jack E/NJ
    For some reason the thread I created in the aspire sub-forum is awaiting moderator approval. 

I'll post it here for now. 

I just purchased an Acer Aspire 5 Slim and I have been trying to get it to boot off multiple devices that aren't the preinstalled SSD. The BIOS appears to be UEFI only with no legacy support, and following the instructions posted on this forum to change boot priority don't work as there are no options besides Windows Boot Manager. Neither my bootable Kubuntu USB stick or 120GB Kingston SSD with Windows 7 installed are bootable, despite both being viewable in Windows Explorer. Yes I have created a supervisor password, yes I have disabled secure boot, yes I have disabled fast boot. Yes, the USB was made with Rufus and is FAT32 with GPT partition scheme (UEFI non-CSM target system). I'm doing everything right, but nothing works. Accessing the boot menu from f2, f12 or directly from win10 startup options doesn't work. Only "Windows Boot Manager" shows up but, even then, Windows 7 isn't an option despite being installed on my second SSD.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'll assume you have the A515-54. Newer UEFI bootstrappers are phasing out the Legacy overlay option. Apparently you have a newer one. The F2 and F12 options probably don't work because the because the UEFI Main tab function key behavior option is set to media mode. They should both work as Fn+F2 and Fn+F12 till you change the option. Once inside the UEFI menu, you can sometimes but not always reveal more options by pressing Ctrl+S.

Without the Legacy overlay, the Win7 iso stick likely won't be install on a GPT partitioned drive even if the stick was properly Rufus prepared. The  Kubuntu iso stick should work OK. You may want to try the other USB port if you haven't done so already.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ