SF514-54T goes to hibernate all of a sudden

dpetrek
dpetrek Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
so my laptop occasionally goes into hibernation all by itself.
This happened several times already. I was in middle of work, like editing Excel spreadsheet and it goes into hibernation.
This has to do with power scheme for sure but, where do I start?
I've attached System and Application logs (.evtx files) which could help.
Last thing this happened was January 15th at 17:16 so you can match this in the logs.
Please advise.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'edit power plan' in the left pane. All settings on battery and plugged in should be set to 'NEVER'.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dpetrek
    dpetrek Member Posts: 2 New User
    This solution did not help.
    Now I found another entry in log when system went in hibernation all by itself:

The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
    Hibernate Time = ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎29T18:53:26.920085200Z             
    ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning: TCPU             
    _HOT = 372K

How can I measure if the system is overheating and what can I do about it?
    I'm thinking about lowering maximum CPU frequency in "Processor power management", "Maximum processor state".
    Any other suggestions?

Youll find the relevant logs attached.
    How can I gather more informaiton if needed?
  • JackE
    The CPU is overheating and Win10 automatically saves data and shuts down laptop to protect the CPU (hibernation). It's heatsink must be re-pasted. The thermal module's copper heat pipe covering the CPU must be removed to access the heatsink. This is a fairly labor-intensive job since many mainboard components need to be removed as well. Instead, you might want to try an external cooler or changing to Balanced power plan to reduce overheating which could eventually damage CPU. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• troikatsy
    troikatsy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought SF514-54T in Jan 2020 and it suddenly started hibernating now when I am in conference calls. I don't think changing to Balanced power plan is a good idea because I observe it stops the laptop from hibernating completely on battery and power. So we will never know that it is overheated and eventually damages the laptop. Looks like this series of laptops has this hibernating issue. For now I am trying to keep the laptop cool by raising it a bit and creating a gap between laptop and table surface. If anyone has better solution, please share...
  • JackE
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Change ****ALL**** settings on battery and plugged in to sleep, none to hibernate, shutdown, screen off or nothing. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• a_nd_s
    a_nd_s Member Posts: 9 New User
    I've had overheating problems leading to shutdown problems like this.  However, having had the machine since November 2019 I did not actually have problems till the summer months.  Like many we perhaps think it's acer's problem to do with cooling and the season - which is challenging in such a small/light notebook.  This could however be more of a coincidence than a cause.

What I noticed however was a lot of excess CPU usage from strange tasks - since the last 2 Microsoft Windows Updates.  Each making it worse.   I've opened my machine in the morning after it was supposed to be asleep, finding it hot and running 100% CPU.   The main culprit was Cortana.   So having investigated further I've seen wild CPU usage from Cortana, Runtime Broker and Microsoft Photos.   All seem to have a mind of their own.  All overheat the computer.   So my solution has been to : 

1) Deactivate Cortana
    2) Turn off Background Tasks
    3) Turn off all but essential notifications
    4) Remove Microsoft Photos

So far, so good...hardly using any CPU now in day to day use, no more overheating.