Getting extreme image retention on Acer CB271hu (after simulating CRT display). Is this normal?

gamadaya
gamadaya Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 22 in 2020 Archives
For anyone who doesn't know what CRT Royale is, it's a set of shaders that simulates an old school CRT display very accurately, complete with shadow mask, interlace flickering, and even accurate subpixel simulation if you have the resolution for it. It's very neat when emulating old school games designed for CRTs. The problem I am having is that the flicker effect persists on screen for almost 20 minutes after I stop using the program. I have confirmed that it's from the monitor itself, and not an external source like the graphics card. After researching it, I learned IPS displays can be especially prone to image retention. The examples I've seen never look as bad as what's happening on my screen, but I do acknowledge that what CRT Royale does (continuously flicker the same pixels at 60hz in an interlaced pattern) is pretty intensive compared to anything most people need their monitors to do. So I don't know if my monitor defective, and I should RMA, or if this is just beyond the limits of the CB271hu.