V226HQL Terrible color contrast depending on vertical position

Options
EarlWer
EarlWer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 21 in 2020 Archives
I bought a set (2) of these screens, hoping to be able to resolve problems viewing my gmail (and other) pages.
Specifically, gmail uses pale grey for some of their input fields, like Search.
When the Search field is near the top of the screen, it appears pale grey and is easy to find.
If I move the window down, so that the Search field is near the bottom of the screen, it becomes white more difficult to see.

Bottom line: It seems that the monitor contrast varies a huge amount, depending on the vertical position.
This is very disappointing.
(Try moving the orange 'Let's help you find your answer quickly!'  window up and down. At the top of the screen, it's yellow/orange. At the bottom it's a very pale yellow)

There is no variation when moving windows horizontally.
This site: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php  has a way to test the viewing angle.

My eyes are positioned 4" from the top of the 10.5" panel and 24" away.

Are all screen this poor? Is there a way to get more consistent results or something in the specs I can look for?

Had I known that the contrast was this bad, I would not have bought these screens...

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    i had a quick look at the specs on cnet and this is a TN panel that gives horizontal viewing angles of 90, but only gives 65 for the vertical angles, and that would account for what you are seeing.  It would be a case of physically raising or lowering the panel to give you a best scenario.   IPS displays give much better viewing angles (the one in front of me gives 89/89/89/89).