Acer Aspire TC-885ACCFli5 Memory Upgrade Help

sinkjoy
sinkjoy Member Posts: 4 New User
PC came with 12gb stock RAM.  RAM clocks at 2666mhz.  Motherboard does not support XMP.  I purchased Corsair Vengeance  2x16 2666mhz RAM and clocks at 2133 due to no xmp support.  Where do I find some RAM that will work and run at the 2666mhz clock?

Comments

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening sinkjoy !

For ordinary users and standard applications there is absolutely no final brut gain between the 2133 and 2666mhz frequencies.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• sinkjoy
    No final brut gain?  The 2666mhz clock is 25% faster than the 2133 clock, this must improve regular applications at least a bit.  This pc is used for gaming mostly.  I don't know but it seems there must be at least some performance improvements?
  • MaClane
    There would only be gross final difference for applications that made use of base cloak enhancement and direct kernel access or synthetic testing.
    In games, there would be a big difference if the base went from 2133 to 3200 for example.
    But in this scenario, the gross gain is almost nil.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• sinkjoy
    Thanks for your help.  I still don't understand how it's a "big difference" from 2133 to 3200 when the difference from 2133 to 2666 is exactly half the increase.  It seems the gain would be 50% of "big", not "nil."  Anyway, I've ordered from Crucial, so we'll see if that will give me the 2666.  I just don't want to upgrade my RAM capacity while giving up my 20% clock speed, if it can be avoided.
  • MaClane
    In fact, the gross frequency difference between 2133 and 2666 is about 25% and not double.
    But this frequency will only be approved in software that can directly access the frequency (which is not the case with almost all of them).

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• sinkjoy
    Agreed, but is 50% of the increase of 2133 to 3200.  Anyway, the crucial memory finder got me memory for same price as the Corsair, running at 2666mhz, thanks!
  • Waldowtf
    Waldowtf Member Posts: 4 New User
    Had the same problem with my 885 bought new corsair 2x8 gig 2666 ram and it ran at 1066mhz could not get an answer from acer or corsair as to what the problem was  so what I figure is that the lower speed is the true speed of the chips and when you connect to xmp ( which acer dosent support) the ram is auto over clocked to 2666 if you dont have xmp support on your pc the new ram will still only run at the chips default speed. If you want ram that will run at 2666 dont buy the ones with the fancy heat sinks on them because the all have an xmp chip on them. Acer BIOS dosent give  you any options to adjust ram settings.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Sometimes what is shown is the base clock of the memory. In dual channel mode the actual transfers to and from the memory happen at double the speec of the base clock, to 2133MT/s for 1066MHz memory. Which model do you have? "885" isn't enough. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.