Predator X34P won't boot with Displayport, HDMI limited to 50hz

Options
EhronW
EhronW Member Posts: 4 New User
I just got my new Acer Predator X34P today, and whenever I try to turn on the computer with the included displayport cable hooked up, I get bios warning with 5 beeps and no boot.  Removing the cable and using HDMI instead works fine.  However, when running HDMI I am limited to 50hz while at 3440x1440.  I have tried multiple HDMI cables with no change.  Please help!

Windows 10 Home, I9-9900k, Geforce RTX 2080 ti

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do you have another DP cable to test with? A bad cable would be much more likely than a bad port on the monitor... Not that a bad port on the monitor isn't a possibility.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • EhronW
    Options
    I didn't have another one to try, but I will grab one when I get off work tonight.  Any ideas on hdmi limited to 50hz?  I was able to manually set a 3440x1440/60hz resolution, but it seems odd that it wouldn't report as supporting that automatically. 
  • EhronW
    Options
    So I ended up getting another DP cable with no change.  I noticed that I was getting the same error and no boot even if I disconnected all of dp/hdmi cables as though it is come kind of "missing display" error so I tried reseating the DP cable, and it worked!  I guess this monitor just requires a very firm press to seat DP cables.  All seems well now.  Thanks for the tip.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, the DP cables have that latch that requires a bit more oomph. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Plapla
    Plapla Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have same problem,try other cables,reinstals,unplug cables for 30min.nothing help.Can u help me pls?
  • EhronW
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My problem was that I had to REALLY push the cables in to both the monitor and graphics card.  The connection took a lot more force then HDMI.  Of course, make sure that the monitor is set to the correct input also. 
  • Hanlines
    Hanlines Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hello,
    I was gaming last night and suddenly the screen went off on my Acer X34 Predator!  This is very odd because no one touches my dream gaming monitor or comes in my room.
    I cover it up with the thin white foam that it came wrapped in when I'm not home for a few days because I don't want dust on it. I have never touched the screen with a finger.

So I started to troubleshoot for several minutes and found my display port quit working. I tested another monitor using the same PC and display cable and it worked. I tried to use an HDMI on the X34 and it worked. I was very happy and would just not use the display port anymore because I love this monitor so much. Then I noticed the refresh rate was locked at 50Hz. That hurt bad. Now one of the favorite things I own is limping at reduced refresh rate and I have a bad display port. I would rather have a car with dents all over it and mismatch color panels than a limping X34 Predator.  Help me Acer, you are my only hope.