I spilled beer on my laptop

Jameshafner
Jameshafner Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Ok, so last night I was playing on my laptop and I spilt some beer on my it. It was mainly around the trackpad and the lower keyboard. And as soon as it happened I powered it off, unplugged it and completely disassembled it (not including the screen, and the laptop is WAYYYYYY out of warranty so I wasn’t worried about it voiding it) but in the process of powering it off I noticed the mouse would click sporadically on screen. I have both the trackpad and the keyboard set over vents to dry out and I left them there till tonight. I gave all the components a good look over and there was no water damage to any components and I cleaned them with a qtip and 90% isopropyl alcohol. The only issue the pc seems to have is with the trackpad, so I was just wanting to see if anyone knew If after reassembling it all if the trackpad should be back to normal, or will I have to now purchase a replacement track pad.

Answers

• If the trackpad does not work, then you have to buy a new top cover with new a keyboard and trackpad. This has happened to me and the best solution was, to replace these components. Trackpads can't be replaced easily, they are glued to the top cover and trying to replace them will dame them, as its very hard to buy new trackpad boards, this is not for all laptops, it depends on your laptop model and availability of trackpad boards.  
  • Jameshafner
    edited January 2020
    Thank you for answering! It did work, and upon inspecting it all of the boards,connectors,etc. are all free from corrosion, residue, or any liquids. The pad just tapped on its own trying to shut it down, I was going to wait until later this night to try to reassemble it, and I’m not sure about just mine, but the track pad on my actually separates into an entirely different piece of of hardware, I have attached pictures to show what model it is and the pad itself, I believe it is a model AN515-51-504A. I was just wanting to know if now that it has dried out if it should return to normal or if I will have to replace this assembly. It is only $30 online for the piece, but if I can save it I would like to save it, but I understand if it is gone 😂 Thanks again! James.
  • jakesu11y
    jakesu11y Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Dry it out and give it a run. I bet it still works. 
  • Jameshafner
    Alrighty! I’ll make sure it’s dry and reassembled and get back to you guys with an update!
  • Jameshafner
    Alright! so I have reassembled the laptop ( it actually being what I am replying with now lol) and the track-pad and all keys/functions of the laptop work just like the day I bought it! But I have run into a potential new issue, I am beginning to think that I might have one true casualty on my hands. I feel that the battery might have suffered from the beer attack due to the fact when I go to unplug the device from the AC adapter it now makes a loud mechanical beep, similar to that when you load into a PC's BIOS, which I have not noticed before. but this could easily be because pre-spill I did not take it off of the charger very often other than after it has been shut down since I do primarily use it for gaming which requires a lot from the laptop and causes the performance to drop. The only thing that makes me question if the battery is the issue is that it doesn't die, which any other laptop I have had would do immediately after unplugging. I was just wanting to respond back with the good news and to see if by chance this is just a feature that I have missed prior to the incident, or if this is a warning from the laptop telling me that there is an issue within the battery. Thanks again! James.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    You are right in gaming with your laptop plugged into the AC that way the CPU will run at Max. The Nitro 5 series batteries are designed to be trickle charged while gaming on AC so when you unplug it the battery should be at or near 100% so it won't die when taken off power. The mechanical beep is a standard feature (I just tested that myself) and your laptop appears to be working as intended. Wow that was a close call !!!!!!

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★