Swift 5 resets function key mode back to Media mode by itself?

TomG
TomG Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I have just bought a new Swift 5 model sf514-54t-77v6.
I have changed the function key mode from Media mode to Function Keys through BIOS a couple of times already. It works just fine, but then the laptop seems to reset it back to Media mode overnight.
Each time that it happens, it also takes much longer to turn on the laptop. To a point that it feels that it may never turn on... It requires a really long time of holding the Power button down.
All open apps obviously crash.
Help?
Cheers,

Edited the content to hide personal information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Power button should not be held down to turn laptop on. Only briefly push and release power button to turn it on.

What BIOS version number is on your machine now? You can run msinfo32.exe to find this out without entering BIOS menu.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Thanks Jack.

BIOS version is Insyde Corp. V1.07, 5/9/2019. 

When this happens, the laptop wouldn't turn on without holding down the power button for a long time. In other times, I can turn it on with a brief push and release. This has been a red flag for me that something is wrong...
  • JackE
    >>>I have just bought a new Swift 5 model sf514-54t-77v6.>>>

OK. Looks like there was an issue with the BIOS 1.07 version. Go to this link and download a newer BIOS.   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8104?b=1    I'd probably only step up to the 1.09 version to see if it resolves the issue. If not, I'd quickly return the system to the vendor as defective for an exchange or refund before the vendor's RMA policy period expires.

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Thanks Jack, much appreciated. I have upgraded BIOS to 1.09 and have changed to Function Key mode again. Fingers crossed, I hope that it would solve the issue. Will report back in a week or so if the issue doesn't repeat itself, so that other users with the same problem are aware of it. Cheers!
  • TomG
    edited January 2020
    Hi Jack,
    It was okay for 13 days, but happened tonight again. BIOS V1.09. Thoughts?
    Cheers,

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
  • JackE
    Probably an update changed it back for you. Change it back again in the BIOS. Then open ControlPanel. search 'restore point'. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. See any restore points that happened today or yesterday? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Thanks Jack. Couldn't find it... :-( Found 'create a restore point' and have done it, based on current setting. This may work?
  • JackE
    >>>Couldn't find it>>>

It should be in the BIOS MAIN tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    JackE said:
    Then open ControlPanel. search 'restore point'. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. See any restore points that happened today or yesterday? Jack E/NJ
    Sorry, I meant that I couldn't find this part. Changing the Fn keys was okay.
  • JackE
    Was the BIOS setting changed to media mode again? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Yes, it did
  • JackE
    Well, let's see how long it lasts this time. Make sure system protection is turned on in ControlPanel's 'restore point' app. It'll be interesting to see if an update is causing the change. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Thanks, finders crossed...

System protection was 'off' this morning. I have turned it on today. Not sure if it had been 'on' originally and has changed to 'off' in one of these incidents, or had originally been 'off'. Will check if it changes if this issue repeats.

Thanks for your help Jack, much appreciated!
  • JackE
    Good luck with it. If it changes back to media again, immediately check for an auto restore point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomG
    Happened again last night. I had thought that Windows updates could have caused it, but checked and there have been no Windows updates... 
  • JackE
    When F9 is pressed in the BIOS Main tab, does it go back to media mode? Exit BIOS without saving whether or not it changes. We'll go from there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ