Windows 8.1 updates stuck as SSD full on V15 Nitro - how do I abort the update?

Options
Xereyeus
Xereyeus Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire V15 Nitro that has been stuck on preparing to update for 2 weeks....my ex trashed my email which I was accessing through Outlook by tripling the size of the mailbox. Thus when windows went to update there was no space on the drive....how do I roll back to before the updates? Do I need to turn the WiFi off so it doesn't go looking after I've got into troubleshooter (takes a couple of attempts on alt/f10) I don't want to wipe the drive as there's some important work on it!
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open FileExplorer. Try to find the C: drive in the left pane. Right click on it. Click 'properties'. How much free space is shown? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
     :s I can't..its stuck in the preparing to update windows message. I've tried alt f10 and can get into the troubleshooting screen but it only offers a complete wipe. I need to copy the two drives externally as I'd not managed to do a cloud back up.
  • JackE
    Options
    Then you have no choice but to press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY (don't wait for ACER logo) press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden recovery partition is still intact, a recovery screen should appear as in the video below. You have the option of trying to refresh the machine while saving your personal files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    I've watched this video and as I said have tried the options given, except the complete wipe process. How do I copy to an external drive in dos or the windows trying to update?
  • JackE
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You should be able to get to the DOS X : \ > command prompt by selecting the ALT+F10 troubleshoot section. From there you may be able to then access the C : partition by entering C:  If successful, then you might then be able to plug in a USB pendrive or another HDD with a USB-to-HDD adapter and label it as the D : drive and copy or xcopy from C to D. But you have to know what important files you're looking for on the C drive.  Jack E/NJ

PS: Then there are a few utilities at the X : > \ command prompt that we may be able to try to tix the update corruption.

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,
    Can you step me through the dos commands. There are two drives on the laptop - the SSD and a HD, So C:/ and D:/ I desperately need to retrieve what's on D. I have had massive issues with my email as my mail was triple copied when it was copied over to a new server...long story about that. I also have some software on the C drive (office) that I would like to retireve. If I copy and delete the rogue pst file off the c drive do you think the automatic updates will work or is this a permanent infinite loop?
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you get to the X : \ prompt? If yes, at the X : \ prompt, simply enter 'dir C : \ '  . That should reveal a list of files and folders on the root directory of the C drive. You can do the same for the D drive by entering 'dir D : \' at the X : \ prompt. If you can do all this, we probably can get the files you want onto a USB stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello - yes I can see the Contents of the c drive using the dos prompt.
  • JackE
    Options
    How about the d drive? Just enter 'dir D : \' at the X : \> prompt. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes I have that too...I did a copy d: to an external e but when I moved the external drive to another computer it said there was nothing on it. Now when I do dir e: it shows a mirror of d: and the external drive is on f:
  • JackE
    Options
    What's the external drive? A USB stick or another HDD? What's the other computer and Window version? And what copy command did you use? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    External hdd
    xcopy
    Did finally mange to get the whole contents of the D drive onto the hdd and currently trying to retrieve the c so I can investigate my pst file (I think it was outlook that has screwed the machine because I could delete large amounts of emails without it crashing).
    Once I have copies of the data what would be the next steps?
    Thank you
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> moved the external drive to another computer it said there was nothing on it>>>
    >>>so I can investigate my pst file>>>
    >>>Once I have copies of the data what would be the next steps?>>>

Did you get this straightened out or not. Can you see the folder and raw data files  or not. What is your "rogue pst" file?

The next steps would be to try to fix the HDD from the X : \ > command prompt.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    I can see the complete contents of my D drive on my external HDD.
    I can see the C drive copy on my external HDD and am currently investigating where the outlook folders went.
    The rogue pst file was an outlook email box which was hammered after triplicate copies of my email was downloaded as a result of a faulty set up of the mail server.
    So now how do I try and repair the SSD drive which was causing the preparing to install issue?

• JackE
    Options
    Go back to the X : \ prompt and enter 'diskpart' . At the DISKPART> prompt enter 'list disk'

DISKPART> list disk
    Please state the result or better yet post a screenshot with your phone.

You can exit DISKPART> prompt by entering 'exit'

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    This is the content you asked for.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Looks good so far. The USB DISK2 should probably be disconnected now so nothing gets messed up on it.

At the X :  \> command prompt enter 'sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows' . This will attempt to clean up the Windows files on the DISK0 C : \ drive so it can hopefully boot.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."
    A not very helpful message...
  • JackE
    Options
    Just do what it says. Reboot. It can't repair the system file(s) while Windows is still using the file(s).  Run the same command again. And if you get a similar message, do it again. This may require several reboots. Just do it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xereyeus

Tinkerer

Options
    By reboot do you mean switch off and on or reboot as in type reboot?
    Do I do it the blue screen?