Need Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 (2019) information from users

Options
Seafooz
Seafooz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I am trying to make my up mind regarding buying this laptop or not. I like the specs for the laptop a lot (i7, GTX 1650, etc.). My problem with it, is the screen. I saw this review from LinusTechTips which compared both Acer Nitro 5 and 7 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKh0zKg28k

and it showed that Acer Nitro 5 got a very dull red (orangish) on the logo on the screen. Are the colors on this laptop that terrible or dull? I would appreciate some feedback from owners.

Thanks a lot.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Buying a laptop is subjective, by that I mean that different users have different needs and what one person likes another doesn't. I have the AN515-42 and the colors are a little muted but that suits me because I don't like Vivid colors, in some games I increase the color saturation for a more vivid look. 
    So for me it's a matter of personal taste

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Buying a laptop is subjective, by that I mean that different users have different needs and what one person likes another doesn't. I have the AN515-42 and the colors are a little muted but that suits me because I don't like Vivid colors, in some games I increase the color saturation for a more vivid look. 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• firecat
    firecat Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Nitro 5 is good laptop i had it for a few days and works really well, it doesnt have the ultra best stuff you might find in other systems. The whole laptop is just fine on it's own, many things that used to take 1mins in my old computer only takes a few seconds. Many programs i run like photoshop to export a 4K picture are done in just a few seconds. Games run really well too, some at ultra settings and some at middle settings.
  • Seafooz
    Options
    andylb said:
    Thanks for the reply, andylb. I am a huge fan of vivid colors. I hate dull colors / screens. I want to buy a gaming laptop at less than 1000$, that provides nice colors. If you see the video above, you will notice that the red color appears as dull orangish. Can the saturation be increased to make the red color red? Also, if it is not too much to ask, can you crank up the saturation to the max and give me some phone pictures of what they look like?

firecat said:
    Nitro 5 is good laptop i had it for a few days and works really well, it doesnt have the ultra best stuff you might find in other systems. The whole laptop is just fine on it's own, many things that used to take 1mins in my old computer only takes a few seconds. Many programs i run like photoshop to export a 4K picture are done in just a few seconds. Games run really well too, some at ultra settings and some at middle settings.
    Thanks for the reply, firecat. Since you are a photoshop user, did not the colors matter to you? I have heard that the color accuracy is bad on this laptop.
  • Elky64
    Elky64 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    I watched Linus video too prior to buying my Nitro 5 and personally finding the display to be pretty decent. But then I'm coming from laptops that are 6 years and older that only have 1366 x 768 resolution displays so the Nitro 5's is a definite upgrade for me. Screen actually gets more than bright enough too as I find myself having to reduce brightness by 20-30% LOL. But like already mentioned, everything is subjective so what works for one may not for you.

Mainly chose the Nitro 5 due to price and its upgradability... It'll see mostly general use and some relatively light video/photo editing so no gaming. After performing several upgrades (storage/memory) I'm super stoked with what this thing has to offer albeit we've only owned for a short while. Nope definitely not a top tier laptop (gaming or otherwise) in many ways but nor did it cost an arm and a leg either, treat it accordingly and it should serve well. At the end of the day I am very happy!

• Seafooz
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, Elky64.You do images/videos editing. Did you have problems with the colors? If it is not too much to ask, can you check this video on your laptop and phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z41mffg7wM

Check the "Acer Nitro 5" logo on start (at 00:04). On my old laptop (7 years old), the colors are washed out but they are the same (accurate) in comparison to the one from my phone. Within the same video above, I have noticed that the colors on the video editing software with that same video (of the Acer Nitro 5 logo), the colors are different and washed out. Can you confirm?

Thanks for your time.

• Seafooz
    Options
    Since nobody could give me the answer I was looking for. I had to visit several shops and finally found it on display. The colors on this laptop are terrible. Not only that, they are washed out, too, and there is no way to change them or make them vivid at all. My 7 year old laptop has better colors in terms of accuracy. I do not know what Acer was thinking when it picked those screens. They should have added good panels that goes with those powerful laptops. I hope this helps anyone who plans on buying this laptop.

P.S. If you want to buy an Acer Nitro laptop, go for Acer Nitro 7.
  • Elky64
    Elky64 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Seafooz said:
    Since nobody could give me the answer I was looking for. I had to visit several shops and finally found it on display. The colors on this laptop are terrible. Not only that, they are washed out, too, and there is no way to change them or make them vivid at all. My 7 year old laptop has better colors in terms of accuracy. I do not know what Acer was thinking when it picked those screens. They should have added good panels that goes with those powerful laptops. I hope this helps anyone who plans on buying this laptop.

Well I definitely wouldn't put my Nitro 5s display in the same categories you mentioned, have heard Acer gets their panels from different sources so maybe I lucked out. Yes colours were a wee bit off but after a quick display calibration...

...I'm happy enough. As for being washed out, nope never was on mine otherwise that would have been one aspect I'd have noticed right off the bat... I just have to look at a display from a bit of an angle on one of my older laptops to see the true meaning of washed out. Agree not quite as vivid yet acceptable enough for me. The thing is, nothing I'm dealing with is considered to be in the "elite crowd" so my expectations are adjusted accordingly, but the Nitro's display being terrible isn't one of them imo. Again, maybe I just got lucky dunno.

• andylb
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Seafooz said:

That's because the answer you are looking for is subjective and as you can already see there are those that are quite happy with the screen including me, I also can tweak it to bright vivid colors. It's the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★