Question on adding a 3rd drive.

DwertlePLayz
DwertlePLayz Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN15-53-55G9 that I installed a 500GB hard drive into. I would like to know if there is an option to add another SATA drive. I know about the Nvme drive slot, but they are very expensive. Thanks!

Answers

• Sathish2388
    Sathish2388 Member Posts: 85 Fixer WiFi Icon
    DwertlePLayz.. Hi! May i have the SNID number of your computer?

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I'm sorry the answer is NO, your model only has one M2 expansion slot for NVMe PCLe or SATA for a total of 2 Drives only but you could use an external drive.

ModelM.2 Slot 1 CompatibilityM.2 Slot 2 Compatibility
    AN515-51, AN515-52 and AN515-53 (Intel)NVMe PCIe or SATANot Available
    AN515-41 and AN515-42 (AMD)SATA onlyNot Available
    AN515-43 (AMD)NVMe PCIeSATA only

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DwertlePLayz
    andylb said:
    I'm sorry the answer is NO, your model only has one M2 expansion slot for NVMe PCLe or SATA for a total of 2 Drives only but you could use an external drive.

Hey, I have a question. I looked at ifixit and it showed my laptop having an nvme drive already in it. Is my SSD NVME or SATA? I saw a video were it was SATA so I am confused. Thanks!
  • DwertlePLayz
    andylb said:

Another question. I added one SATA drive in the expansion slot. If I add an m.2 drive will it work? If so, wouldn't that be 3 drives? Am I messing something up? Thanks!      -Dwertle
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    Your model shipped with an SSD or HDD drive already installed which leaves one expansion slot, if you have already added a SATA into the M2 expansion slot you now have 2 drives and there are no further expansion slots your model has only one M2 expansion slot. I don't know anything about ifixit but the table above is the official Acer table and it clearly shows one M2 expansion slot for 2 drives total

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DwertlePLayz
    andylb said:
    Your model shipped with an SSD or HDD drive already installed which leaves one expansion slot, if you have already added a SATA into the M2 expansion slot you now have 2 drives and there are no further expansion slots your model has only one M2 expansion slot. I don't know anything about ifixit but the table above is the official Acer table and it clearly shows one M2 expansion slot for 2 drives total

Please click YES if I have answered your question
    Let me clarify. I did not add a SATA drive in the m.2 slot. I added a SATA drive in the expansion bay at the bottom. That would leave open the 2nd M.2 slot right?
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    This is getting confusing, you have added an SSD to what you are calling the "Expansion Bay" which is in fact for M2 NVMe PCLe or SATA. There is no other slot to add anything else, your model only has slots for 2 drives

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DwertlePLayz
    andylb said:
    This is getting confusing, you have added an SSD to what you are calling the "Expansion Bay" which is in fact for M2 NVMe PCLe or SATA. There is no other slot to add anything else, your model only has slots for 2 drives
    I am also confused. The expansion bay is a SATA 3 slot at the bottom. Inside the laptop, there is also an extra NVME m.2 slot.
  • andylb
    Ok that's much clearer. Go ahead and add one you are good to go

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★