Only 6gb ram able to be used when 8gb installed Nitro 5 AN515-43

prlennox
prlennox Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a Nitro 5 AN515-43 and I've been gaming on it ever since recently I got it, its pretty decent. But there's just one problem that's annoying me. There's 8GB ram installed but I can only use 5.92 ram. I tried the msconfig method, didn't work. That's the only method I've tried so far, I'm also scared that I might brick the laptop. If anyone could help me, thanks!

Comments

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,885 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    prlennox said:
    I have a Nitro 5 AN515-43 and I've been gaming on it ever since recently I got it, its pretty decent. But there's just one problem that's annoying me. There's 8GB ram installed but I can only use 5.92 ram. I tried the msconfig method, didn't work. That's the only method I've tried so far, I'm also scared that I might brick the laptop. If anyone could help me, thanks!

The Nitro 5 AN515-43 has 2x memory slots: 2 (2 banks of 1) maximum memory = 32GB *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. Standard Memory: 8GB removable now, it could be that your current 8GB memory stick is damaged, there could be a problem with the memory slot also. Buy another 8GB stick (as 16GB is better than 8GB and it wont be a waisted investment) and replace the existing 8GB stick and see if it shows 8GB, with the news stick? Its usually a process of elimination as your system can handle 32GB of DDR4 PC4-21300.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    prlennox said:
    This is normal on Nitro - the amount of RAM set aside on the max amount of RAM dedicated to your integrated GPU. On my Nitro 5 (AN515-42), it reserves 1GB of RAM as dedicated VRAM to my internal GPU. My laptop shipped with 8 GB, so the max RAM i could see was 7 GB. I added another 8 GB to it and now I see 15 GB (instead of actual 16 GB).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • prlennox
    prlennox Member Posts: 2 New User
    StevenGen said:
    prlennox said:

The Nitro 5 AN515-43 has 2x memory slots: 2 (2 banks of 1) maximum memory = 32GB *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. Standard Memory: 8GB removable now, it could be that your current 8GB memory stick is damaged, there could be a problem with the memory slot also. Buy another 8GB stick (as 16GB is better than 8GB and it wont be a waisted investment) and replace the existing 8GB stick and see if it shows 8GB, with the news stick? Its usually a process of elimination as your system can handle 32GB of DDR4 PC4-21300.

If I ever do upgrade the ram, where can I buy a nitro 5 screwdriver?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    prlennox said:
    StevenGen said:
    prlennox said:

If I ever do upgrade the ram, where can I buy a nitro 5 screwdriver?

A Nitro screwdriver? I don't believe there is such a thing

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Voidhex
    Voidhex Member Posts: 2 New User
    This is the problem of the bios,  and acer still havent optimize it or update for bios. 
  • Sreehari
    Sreehari Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi, I am using the exact same model with 8GB RAM from past 7 months. The problem you stated above is not actually a problem. It should be like that because as someone already said in this thread, the integrated GPU of AMD chip. The AMD Ryzen5 3550H processor has the vega8 iGPU which takes 2GB of RAM space to independently work as a low power graphics card. This helps it to do its work wihtout worrying about the original RAM usage of system. However, I agree that it can be an issue when you try to open more apps consuming more ram space. So if you want to really get the potential of the system, you have to install another ram in the empty DIMM slot. YOU HAVE TO DO TIS THROUGH SERVICE CENRE, OTHERWISE YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRATNY. I have isntalled another 8GB of ram previous month and now the system has 14GB of free ram for system usage and 2GB for Vega8. This will solve your problem permenantly. :) hope this helps.