Install an additional SSD Spin SP515-51N-51GH

Options
Viktors69
Viktors69 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Original Text:
Подскажите пожалуйста, какой из этих дисков будет работать в ноутбуке Acer Spin SP515-51N-51GH. (В качестве дополнительного привода)
Samsung 970 EVO 500 ГБ M.2 NVMe
Samsung 860 Evo 500 ГБ M.2 SATAIII MLC

Translation:
Please tell me which of these disks will work in the Acer Spin SP515-51N-51GH laptop. (As an optional drive) Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2 SATAIII MLC

[Post edited as the member posted in Russian language -Acer-Harvey]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The boot menu should show Windows Boot Manager. That is the UEFI partition with the boot files. I believe it uses the first of those found, which is why I suggested you try booting with the HDD disconnected, to verify that partition was cloned correctly to the SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Здравствуй,
    Вы можете использовать M.2 NVMe SSD, поэтому я бы посоветовал вам перейти на Samsung 970Evo
    Hi,
    You can use M.2 NVMe SSD, so I would suggest you to go for Samsung 970Evo
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Spin-SP515-51N/72061

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Доброе утро Viktors69 !

Эта модель имеет слот M.2 2280 как для Sata 3, так и для стандарта PICe Nvme.

English translation:
    This model has an M.2 2280 slot for both Sata 3 and the PICe Nvme standard.

[Edited translation to English by moderator - Acer-Karp]
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Viktors69

Tinkerer

Options
    I know that these slots are compatible. I’m interested in whether this particular drive will work (Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe)
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    I think it would work because PC SN520 NVMe SSD 512GB is being used by 2 people.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the support.  But the Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe SSD drive and Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe drive have different slots.  WD (M + B key) and Samsung (M key).  I'm worried about buying a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe drive, and the motherboard does not support M-key.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    No problem, yes it's better to be cautious before buying, please wait for someone else to reply.
  • billsey
    Options
    This image from the Service Guide seems to show the M.2 slot is an M key slot, so should be good with either M or M+B keyed drives.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello.
     You wrote that the Samsung 970 EBO will work in my laptop model. In the boot menu, this SSD drive is not displayed. In the "information" menu it is displayed. What settings need to be changed so that everything works?
     You wrote that the Samsung 970 EBO will work in my laptop model. In the boot menu, this SSD drive is not displayed. In the "information" menu it is displayed. What settings need to be changed so that everything works?

[SN edited by moderator   -  Acer-Karp]
  • billsey
    Options
    It looks like everything is working now. Have you cloned the boot partitions to the SSD? It looks like it's still using the ones on the HDD for booting. Remember that you need all of those little partitions cloned to the SSD, left at their original sizes, in order to boot from the SSD. Best is to get a good clone, remove the HDD and boot from the SSD to verify everything is working, then replace the HDD and redo it's partitins to set it as a data drive instead of the boot drive.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

Options
    If everything works, why doesn’t this disc appear in the “BOOT” menu?  How can I make the system start booting from the SAMSUNG SSD?  Indeed, in the "BOOT" menu, you need to swap the HDD disk to the SSD.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The boot menu should show Windows Boot Manager. That is the UEFI partition with the boot files. I believe it uses the first of those found, which is why I suggested you try booting with the HDD disconnected, to verify that partition was cloned correctly to the SSD.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks.  Cloned the HDD to SDD, disconnected the HDD and started the laptop.  Windows started with SDD, everything works.  Thanks again.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Do you know what Acer tech support wrote to me?  Full copy of the letter:

[Content edited do to AUCA. Edited by moderator  -  Acer-Karp]
  • billsey
    Options
    They obviously got the part number wrong when looking it up. they must have found the mSATA one instead of the M.2 NVMe.
  • Viktors69

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Маклейн сказал:
    Доброе утро Виктор69 !

Эта модель имеет слот M.2 2280 как для Sata 3, так и для стандарта PICe Nvme...

Translation:
    MacLane said:
    Good morning Victor69!

This model has an M.2 2280 slot for both Sata 3 and PICe Nvme ...

[Repeated quote and translation edited by moderator - Acer-Karp]

• Viktors69

Tinkerer

Options
    I think that ACER technical support employs incompetent employees. The question was asked directly about the SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 NVME SSD. Will this SSD work if I connect it? I don’t understand what ACER administration does when it entrusts incompetent people to work in ACER technical support. After such answers they cannot be trusted.
  • billsey
    Options
    First level tech support always works from scripts, 99% of their calls can be handled that way, and it makes it hard for them to screw up... But some questions just need a bit more. :)