BIOS updates, is it worth it? Aspire A315-21

robman501a
robman501a Member Posts: 49 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2019 in Aspire Laptops
I'm always trying to keep my systems up to date so they have the latest security patches, bug fixes and performance improvements. The BIOS that the Aspire A315-21 is currently running is version 1.12 and I see there has been a lot of updates since. Would any of these updates benefit me? Also, what is Acer EShell/ELinux? I never owned an AMD system before so I don't know what AMD PI or DGPU is. My
Intel system had a security patch for the CPU microcode, so I had to take that update.

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,180 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! It is recommended that after updating the bios, restore the bios to default settings by pressing the f9 and then f10 keys to correct possible bugs. Regarding your question, the bios update should be related there is some compatibility issue or even some fix for linux operating system.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• DGPU= Dedicated Graphics Processing Unit
    AMD PI= Platform Initialization 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGESA
    Acer EShell OS: Some models do not come with an operating system installed. In this case, the user must purchase an operating system and install it. This version of bios should provide some update on uefi shell.
    Acer Elinux OS: This release should fix some problem with linux operating system.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • robman501a
    So, it updates the video BIOS and the Platform Initialization. I wonder what's in those updates. To bad there is no release notes.
    The system came with Windows 10 preinstalled, so I don't know if the EShell/ELinux update would be of any use.
    Should I take the latest update anyway?
  • If your notebook is working perfectly, why risk turning it into a brick?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
    Ahh yes. Good point. Wonder why there are so many though, at least once a month? I suppose I could wait for a stability/performance improvement update to show up.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited December 2019
    I would like to say, that I am not telling you not to upgrade. However, in my opinion, and not knowing what the latest versions of bios will change on your notebook, I would not update the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a

Actually, I have been having an issue when coming out of standby. Dwm.exe crashes and leaves me with a black screen when I open the lid. Not sure if it's an issue with the MS Fall 2019 update for Win 10 (Never had this issue on my desktop), or an issue with the Radeon software (just updated to the 2020 release) or if this would correct that issue. "Change vBIOS for DGPU M1-70"

• I would start by updating the drivers and disabling quick boot to see if that solves the problem with hibernation. Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
    The hard drive was giving me the click of death 'click, click, click, spin down, spin up, click, click, click'.  So, that might have been it also. As for the HDD, that's working fine now.
    I'm not sure how to update the AMD Chipset drivers though. Would the Radeon package cover that? For some reason the SATA controller is showing up as 'Standard AHCI Controller' in Device manager.
  • robman501a
    Quick boot? That option isn't in the BIOS. There is a Fast Startup option in Windows though, are you referring to that?
  • Yes, the amd program may update the drivers. Look for the fast start up in the power options and disable it!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
     Look for the fast start up in the power options and disable it!
    And done! Now I'll try to crash it and recreate the scenario. 
  • robman501a
    I know for my other Acer Aspire laptop, this BIOS update is useless since the keyboard doesn't light up.
    "1. Implement KB backlight timeout item in SCU."
    Also, what's AMD SMU?
  • You should check this function on another laptop:
    Resultado de imagem para backlit keyboard bios acer

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
    Probably that feature is pointless if you are just using the standard keyboard on the laptop. 
    Just wondering though, I understand the risks but how could you brick the system if it has a full battery and is plugged in to a UPS while updating the BIOS? 
    Overheat and thermal shutdown? 
    I do update the firmware on my other devices to get the latest fixes and improvements and latest features. (router, desktop, etc.) Not sure if it's the smartest thing to do.

• OK! But can you inform the model of the other laptop? About updating the bios, yes it is a risky procedure.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
    My other Acer laptop? It's an Aspire A315-41. 
    The Aspire A315-21 is replacing the old Aspire 5742 (which still works but not with Windows 10, running a current version of Ubuntu since Windows 7 is no longer supported)
  • robman501a
    One thing I don't understand about laptop BIOS updates though. Usually for the PC, they add support for hardware upgrades, such as the RAM and CPU but with a laptop, you can't upgrade the CPU.
  • There is a version of bios that implements some function for backlit, see:

BIOS 1. Update PI code v1.1.0.8. Data: 2019/08/12 Version: 1.15 Vendor: Acer Tamanho: 10.0 MB Download

BIOS 1. Implement KB backlight timeout item in SCU. 2. Update AMD SMU 30.80. 3. Update PI to v1.0.0.4. Data: 2019/03/14 Version: 1.13 Vendor: Acer Tamanho: 10.0 MB Download

Ideally, download the latest version. On your question, sometimes there are releases of bios for laptops, which add some compatibility to ram or cpu.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robman501a
    So,I went for it. I loaded up the ZA v123 file thinking I would get a confirmation window before it started but it started to program and flash the BIOS right away. It always scares me since I know the risks!
    Do I see anything different with the system? No. The BIOS menu screens look the same, nothing has been added but the system seems to boot a tiny bit quicker. No mention of the EShell or ELinux, maybe that stuff is in the background?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    OK! It is recommended that after updating the bios, restore the bios to default settings by pressing the f9 and then f10 keys to correct possible bugs. Regarding your question, the bios update should be related there is some compatibility issue or even some fix for linux operating system.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer