New bought Acer Nitro 5 wont charge.

AceBurgundy
AceBurgundy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So guys i bought my laptop recently and I love playing games on this device and overclocked it for a bit just to bring out more power. knowing that battery would be insufficient for this, I just continually plug my laptop whenever I play. But one time after I play, I plugged my charger out and my laptop suddenly shut down and wont turn on unless plugged in, so I bought it to the service center and they said that it needs a new battery. So I did, but I wonder, If I had my battery changed, then I must not plug it again when I play since there's the danger of my battery getting broke again. But knowing that playing on this laptop without its charger is really not good since it would only last for about an hour. What do you guys think? Should I still plug it in while playing? since most gaming laptops are encouraged to plug in while they game, so im im curious.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    So to sum it up, it wont happen again. But, I have to stop overclocking. Need to find surge protectors, And unplug my charger only when my laptop is already powered off.

That is all absolutely correct my friend, Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning AceBurgundy !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    What overclocking method did you use?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• AceBurgundy
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning AceBurgundy !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    What overclocking method did you use?

An515-43-R41A
    Ryzen 5 3550h
    Radeon Rx560x
    256gb Nvme SSD
    1TB HDD
    1x4gb 2400 mhz
    1x8gb 2600mhz

update on the Overclock. my latest stable settings before my laptop battery died was

75 on the power limit (which was the max)

1400mhz on the core clock and

2000 in the memory clock.

Temps sometimes reach 85° especially playing Battlefield 5 with ultra settings.
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    So guys i bought my laptop recently and I love playing games on this device and overclocked it for a bit just to bring out more power. knowing that battery would be insufficient for this, I just continually plug my laptop whenever I play. But one time after I play, I plugged my charger out and my laptop suddenly shut down and wont turn on unless plugged in, so I bought it to the service center and they said that it needs a new battery. So I did, but I wonder, If I had my battery changed, then I must not plug it again when I play since there's the danger of my battery getting broke again. But knowing that playing on this laptop without its charger is really not good since it would only last for about an hour. What do you guys think? Should I still plug it in while playing? since most gaming laptops are encouraged to plug in while they game, so im im curious.

Using your laptop with the charger plugged in causes no harm to the battery whatsoever in fact modern gaming laptops are designed to be used that way and modern battery technology cannot overcharge as the charger shuts off at 100% and then trickle charges as the battery level drops. Your battery problem was likely caused by something else and it was coincidental to unplugging, I always unplug with my laptop turned off as unplugging with it on can cause a momentary power imbalance that could potentially damage a battery. You should never be plugged directly into the wall outlet instead use a good quality Surge protector designed specifically for laptops. I also do not recommend Overclocking you can open up a whole new area of potential problems

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,731 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Overclocking seems to the problem here, not charger or battery. Stop overclocking on laptop processors; they may not withstand sustained usage like this.
    Put it to normal levels, connect power, and play as long as you wish to.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • andylb
    sri369 said:
    Overclocking seems to the problem here, not charger or battery. Stop overclocking on laptop processors; they may not withstand sustained usage like this.

I agree but the damage may already be done. I mentioned above that overclocking is problematic so I would return the processor to normal and if the battery still doesn't charge, get a new one

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AceBurgundy
    andylb said:
    sri369 said:

I agree but the damage may already be done. I mentioned above that overclocking is problematic so I would return the processor to normal and if the battery still doesn't charge, get a new one
    I already had it changed with a new battery. Im only scared as it may happen again and I have to change my battery again. 

So to sum it up, it wont happen again. But, I have to stop overclocking. Need to find surge protectors, And unplug my charger only when my laptop is already powered off.
  • andylb
    Answer ✓

That is all absolutely correct my friend, Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AceBurgundy
    andylb said:

Thank you very much, I'll keep this in mind.