Touch screen stopped working on Acer T272HUL

Options
bkoopers
bkoopers Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 22 in 2020 Archives
The touch screen stopped working on my Acer T272HUL display panel. It does not respond to touch anymore. My computer is using Windows 10 version 1903. Where can I find a setting that turns that feature on and off? Can anybody suggest a solution or has the display just become defective?

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,781 Pathfinder
    Options
    @bkoopers
    check whether the cable is connected at the back of the monitor, if yes than unplug all the wires that is connected to the monitor(including the power cable)than press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and check.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • bkoopers
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

You did not say which cable I should check. To be more clear, the display works but it no longer responds to touching the screen. The cables connected are power, HDMI, USB and audio. Some time ago, the keyboard and mouse connected to the USB ports in the monitor stopped working so I plugged them into USB ports directly in the computer. When I went to check the cables now, I found the USB cable not connected to the monitor. I attempted to plug the USB cable back into the monitor but it would not fit. I checked the cable and the monitor connector and found that a plastic piece that is part of the monitor connector had broken off and was inside the cable connector. I removed the broken piece but now the USB cable (which is undamaged) will not hold in the monitor USB socket since that plastic piece is now missing.

I disconnected all the cables, pressed and held the power button for 30 seconds and then plugged in the HDMI and power cable and powered it on  but the touch-screen feature still does not work. The monitor just works as a non-touch-screen monitor.

Does the touch-screen feature work through the HDMI cable or through the USB cable? If it is the USB port then I will have to buy another touch-screen monitor.

Is there a setting somewhere that can turn the touch-screen feature on or off? I saw not option to do so in the monitor menu.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    The touch screen works through the USB cable. Can you tape the cable in place? When you push that cable in does the computer give you that "I see something new" beebeep?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bkoopers
    Options
    Thank you billsey for your response.

The plastic piece that broken out of the socket in the back of the monitor aligns two metal pieces that the cable connector needs to make contact with. The way it is now, when I insert the cable, a message pops up momentarily in the System Tray saying "Power surge on the USB port. Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply". The USB cable was being plugged into an external USB hub. I tried plugging it into a USB 3.0 port directly in the computer and get the same "needs more power" message plus the mouse stops working. When I unplug the cable, the mouse works again. It appears that USB port is damaged so I will need to buy another 27 inch touch screen display (unless you have any other ideas).
  • billsey
    Options
    Not necessarily quite that bad, but still not for the faint of heart. There are three circuit boards (actually there's also a small circuit board that allows the digitizer to connect to the Main Board as well, but it has nothing to do with the USB side of things) in the monitor:
    I'm not positive, but I believe the Main Board is the one that has that USB port mounted on it. The USB Board is only doing the USB Hub function. If that is the case a competent technician could either replace the USB connector on that board or cable it off to a connector that you could use outside the back of the monitor. If not, a main board replacement is likely available, Google the part number to see. Acer also likely has a flat rate repair service that might be less expensive that a replacement unit.
    Now it's quite possible I'm all wet there and it is the USB Board that's the culprit, likely the easiest way to tell it to pull it far enough apart to see just where the boards are in relation to the USB port in question. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bkoopers
    Options
    Thank you billsey for your detailed response.

I do not want to put the time and effort in doing that repair. Since the monitor otherwise works as a large 27 inch monitor, I am giving it to my brother (who is very happy to get it) and I ordered a new Acer T272HUL so I can regain the touch-screen feature. I wonder why that USB socket fell apart like that. I have had the monitor for 4 years and have never removed the cable until the cable just fell out and the socket was broken.

• billsey
    Options
    It might have been cracked slightly for quite some time before finally failing, maybe even during the initial setup when you first got it... No way to tell for sure though. Plastic will fatigue over time if it has any damage at all.