is my specs compatible with the motherboard?

Benny_DK
Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited April 12 in 2019 Archives
Hello, so i was thinking about buying a new motherboard, but i need to know if its compatible with my current gpu, cpu and ram, i currently have a gtx 1660 ti, i7 6700k and 16gb 3200mhz ram and i was wondering if the ASUS PRIME Z390-A is compatible with my specs :)

Thanks.

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Well, asking about an ASUS motherboard on an Acer support site is certainly living on the edge... :) The key you will need to look for in a new motherboard is first support for the 6th gen chips, next support for your ram speed and finally the x16 slot for the GPU. The last will be easiest and likely most any 6th gen chipset will give you all three. You also want to verify the new MB fits in your case, there's typically a max size that fits, which might be full ATX, miniATX, DTX, etc. Look at your PSU and make sure it'll handle the power load you'll have. I'd want at least a 500W supply with that system. Finally look for bells and whistles. You likely can find one that supports the M.2 SSDs, check that it does NVMe instead of just SATA 3. 16GB of RAM is nice, but if there are a few more memory slots on the board then the inevitable move to 32GB can happen without having to swap them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Benny_DK
    Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
    billsey said:
    Well, asking about an ASUS motherboard on an Acer support site is certainly living on the edge... :) The key you will need to look for in a new motherboard is first support for the 6th gen chips, next support for your ram speed and finally the x16 slot for the GPU. The last will be easiest and likely most any 6th gen chipset will give you all three. You also want to verify the new MB fits in your case, there's typically a max size that fits, which might be full ATX, miniATX, DTX, etc. Look at your PSU and make sure it'll handle the power load you'll have. I'd want at least a 500W supply with that system. Finally look for bells and whistles. You likely can find one that supports the M.2 SSDs, check that it does NVMe instead of just SATA 3. 16GB of RAM is nice, but if there are a few more memory slots on the board then the inevitable move to 32GB can happen without having to swap them.
    Thanks, and yea i know it might not be the smartest to ask about an asus product on an acer support but i dont know any other support websites that is as good as this. :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    We do try... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.