Falling when installing Linux Aspire One Cloudbook 14 AO1-431

BlueBird_BH
BlueBird_BH Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

So, I was trying to install Kali Linux Light (x32) on my Acer Aspire One since something happened to my Windows 10 installation that result in that I wasn't able to initiate the laptop itself. 

However, I used Win32DiskImager to make my pendrive booteable. After I inserted the pendrive on the laptop and choose the Graphic Installation, the screen show up a black Windows and...then nothing happened. It freezes, as far as I know.

I tried changing my BIOS settings from UEFI to Legacy, but when I choose the Graphic Installation, the screen goes black and the cursor starts to wink. And again, it freezes. The only thing I can do after that is shutdown or restart the laptop. Exactly the same happens when choosing Live.

Please help me, I have used Kali Linux for a very long time and this has never happened to me. I really like it. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    BIOS must be in UEFI mode. Kali USB installation iso stick must be GPT-partitioned FAT32 formatted and prepared with Rufus freeware. Cannot be MBR-parttitioned or use the imager. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    edited December 2019
    I did that and then a black window shows up and freezes. 
  • JackE
    >>>Acer Aspire One>>>

What is the full model number?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    Model Name: Aspire One Cloudbook 14 AO1-431
    Part Number: NX.SHGEK.001
  • JackE
    Looks like it has the 32GB emmc SSD. Is this correct? You need 8-10GB minimum free with a bit extra for temporary installation files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    JackE said:
    Looks like it has the 32GB emmc SSD. Is this correct? You need 8-10GB minimum free with a bit extra for temporary installation files. Jack E/NJ
    So, I need a pendrive with that amount? 
  • JackE
    You likely don't have enough space on the emmc SSD to install Kali. But you should be able to run it from the USB stick as a live session. Google 'kali live' for instructions. You may have to set and save a BIOS supervisor password and then disable BIOS secure boot in order to do so. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    I don't think that's the problem since I can't also start the command-line installation, the graphic installation or even the Live mode. 
  • JackE
    How big is the stick? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    JackE said:
    How big is the stick? Jack E/NJ
    4 GB (3,74 GB, actually)
  • JackE
    Seems way too small even for a regular install. 8GB is recommended minimum for live sessions. You might try the suggestions on the Mint forum here since it seems to also work for black-screened Kali. https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842   But I really think that you should bite the bullet and re-do the iso on an 8GB preferrably 16GB stick. They are quite cheap these days.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    edited December 2019
    JackE said:
    Seems way too small even for a regular install. 8GB is recommended minimum for live sessions. You might try the suggestions on the Mint forum here since it seems to also work for black-screened Kali. https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842   But I really think that you should bite the bullet and re-do the iso on an 8GB preferrably 16GB stick. They are quite cheap these days.

Jack E/NJ

Thanks for the link, I will take a look later.
    I was also trying other OS, such a Linux Mint and Windows 7. I saw a tutorial in which they installed Windows 7 with a USB of 4 GB as well. It booted but then it show me a message that my BIOS did not "fully acpi compliant", I think that might be the problem of everything since in Linux Mint and in Kali (after adding a Boot option) it show me something about an acpi problem. How can I solved it?
  • JackE
    Check my earlier answer here on ACPI issues and to turn it off in the bootloader.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/671333/#Comment_671333
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    JackE said:
    Check my earlier answer here on ACPI issues and to turn it off in the bootloader.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/671333/#Comment_671333
    Jack E/NJ
    I did that and the screen goes black.
  • JackE
    Both the Windows and Grub bootloaders? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueBird_BH
    JackE said:
    Both the Windows and Grub bootloaders? Jack E/NJ
    Yes. I start the Linux Mint with my USB, add that option to the boot, press Enter and then the screen goes black. 
  • JackE
    >>>add that option to the boot>>>

Not add! Turn acpi off!  acpi=off

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ