Upgrade questions from a Filipino user (AN515-52-56VN)

James_13
James_13 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hii I just bought a Nitro 5 (AN515-52-56VN) here in the Philippines and I want to upgrade the current 4 GB or RAM and put a SSD to make it faster. I have these questions so sorry if its many because I really wanted to upgrade this baby.

1. My memory speed is 2667 MHz (Kingston DDR4-2666 (1333MHz)) as displayed by my Task Manager. Does it mean that I need to get RAM Modules with the exact speed or can I mix it with others? I am planning to upgrade it to 20 GB or higher.
2. Can you recommend the best SSD for this and how much GB is optimal?
3. Can I do the upgrades myself or I need to go to a service center to let them upgrade it for me?
4. If I may also ask, are there fees to be paid if I 'm gonna let the service center upgrade my laptop even though it is still covered by the 2 years warranty period?

Thank You so much to anyone who can answer my questions. God Bless Y'all! <3 

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Firstly upgrading your RAM and SSD only voids the warranty if you have a sticker covering one of the screws on the underside stating "Warranty void if removed", if you don't have the sticker do it yourself, if you do have it take it to an approved service center and they will charge fees, upgrading is not paid for by any warranty.

Second if you don't match RAM Speeds, CL and Rank,  all your RAM will operate at the speed of the slowest stick, so always match these 3 things. You may use mismatched RAM size 4gb x 16gb for 20gb total but it is not recommended, it may work or may cause problems and is not officially supported by Acer. Unfortunately for optimum RAM performance, the best thing to do is throw away the 4gb stick it shipped with and go for 8 x 8 for 16gb or 16 x 16 for 32gb with everything matched. 

Lastly you have one extra slot for an SSD and it will take a NVMe, Pcle or SATA. Many users have installed 1tb SSD's with no problems

Below link is to your model from Userbenchmark who gather information on upgrades from 1000's of users, here you will find the most popular user tested SSD's and RAM for your exact model https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-52/83703

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Firstly upgrading your RAM and SSD only voids the warranty if you have a sticker covering one of the screws on the underside stating "Warranty void if removed", if you don't have the sticker do it yourself, if you do have it take it to an approved service center and they will charge fees, upgrading is not paid for by any warranty.

Second if you don't match RAM Speeds, CL and Rank,  all your RAM will operate at the speed of the slowest stick, so always match these 3 things. You may use mismatched RAM size 4gb x 16gb for 20gb total but it is not recommended, it may work or may cause problems and is not officially supported by Acer. Unfortunately for optimum RAM performance, the best thing to do is throw away the 4gb stick it shipped with and go for 8 x 8 for 16gb or 16 x 16 for 32gb with everything matched. 

Lastly you have one extra slot for an SSD and it will take a NVMe, Pcle or SATA. Many users have installed 1tb SSD's with no problems

Below link is to your model from Userbenchmark who gather information on upgrades from 1000's of users, here you will find the most popular user tested SSD's and RAM for your exact model https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-52/83703

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• James_13
    James_13 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

andylb said:

Thank You sir for answering my question! You're a blessing from the heaven above T_T T_T

If I may also add sir, the Warranty sticker is not placed above the screws of the RAM and SSD modules but instead it covers a random position with a screw inside. Does that mean I can upgrade my laptop without any worries?
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    As long as you are not removing that sticker for the upgrade then you are fine

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★