External 3.0 HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows (External HDDs work) on Nitro 5

BtoBaCh
BtoBaCh Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I bought an external USB 3.0 HDD case (adata ex500) for an HDD I had lying around, and it was working correctly, however, one day I was going to transfer some files from another external HDD case that I had to my said new HDD and case, so I pluggied in both of them (one being USB 3.0 and the older case USB 2.0) and the second external never got recognized.

The issues started as soon as the second drive was plugged in. It never showed on my computer, and when I tried to eject the drive, nothing happened. So I tried to turn off the computer in order to safely remove it, and the computer never got past the "shutting down" screen. It was kind of, like a partial crash, and happens every time I plug in ANY external USB 3.0 HDD case.

And the same happens every time I plugged in the case, also restarting the computer was useless, as it never got past the "restarting" screen.

The same HDD case was tried on another computer and it works perfectly. Also, the USB 2.0 still works on my computer, also a USB 3.0 external Samsung HDD.

At first I thought it was the adata case, so I bought and adata ED600 3.0 external case, and the same happened, so I started blaming the brand, but today I got a different brand 3.0 external case and the same issue persists.

What can I do?

Edit 12/25/19:

I did a clean windows installation, and problem persists. Could it be a Bios issue, or even hardware?

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,734 Pathfinder
    BtoBaCh said:

The issues started as soon as the second drive was plugged in. It never showed on my computer, and when I tried to eject the drive, nothing happened.

So the drives didn't show up... did you check under disk management and import the disks?
    Did you try changing the disk in the case (you mentioned about using difference cases, but about different disks)?

I have been using an internal SSD connected to a USB 3.0 case and been using it as an external disk on my Predator 300 for over an year now. Connected the same to my Nitro 5 (515-42) now and it works with no issues (both USB 3 as well as USB 2 ports).
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve