Help with Acer Predator AG3610 Issues when updating to Windows 10

Jwee
Jwee Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Dear Sirs/Mdms

I hope someone can help me on the following

- I have an Acer Predator AG3610 that came pre-installed with Windows 7 that I bought in 2012
- sometime in 2017, I upgraded it to Windows 10
- after I upgraded to Windows 10...I had some issue. some programs would not run properly, they would crash etc.  Internet Browsers also had some issues.  But I tried to live with it
- But during one of Windows 10's  scheduled update...I ran into a big problem.  The computer would try to do the Windows update repeatedly but it would fail.
- it would load, then 3/4 of the way, it would stop and reboot and the computer will go through the same cycle....rendering the computer rather useless.
- and there was no way to switch off the auto update.
- I finally got a hold of someone at Microsoft and the technician help me reinstall Windows 7 back on my computer 
- It worked well and I was happy to keep it that way
- but it seems like I will have no choice come Jan 2020 when support for Windows 7 ceases.
- From what I read. the issue with the failed update was with the Bios on the computer and the Windows Creator Update...although I am not 100% sure.
- I have tried to contact Acer but they said my computer is out of warranty.
- It may be worthwhile to point out that the issue that I faced back in 2017 is exactly the same as the one in this thread.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537561/acer-predator-ag3610-cant-get-windows-10-recent-updates-installed

Fast forward to today.

- I checked the specs for Windows 10 against the specs on the AG3610 and it does seem to meet most of the requirements.
As is. my computer has:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Predator G3610
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P02-A2, 10/31/11
SMBIOS Version 2.6
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
I also have more than 100GB of Free Space.

- But I am concerned that the same issue I experience in 2017 will reoccur. It was hell back then cos in moving back to Windows 7, I lost quite a bit of data. So ideally, I would hate for history to repeat itself.

Question I have is
- has the issue with the Windows Creator Update and Bios for the AG3610 been sorted?
- are there drivers or new BIOS that I can download?
- I tried to check on the Acer site and again, my model is not included and the last updates were dated 2012.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-creators-update

I hope you can help me.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Jwee

Answers

• Hello! Can you inform what is the error that presents? Before you upgraded to windows 10, had you tried to update drivers?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jwee

Tinkerer

Hi, as mentioned, after I updated to Windows 10, I had some small issues with some programs (esp Internet Browsers) shutting down. It was annoying but it was still liveable...the one that really rendered Windows 10 useless on my machine was when Windows kept wanting to do an auto update of windows 10.  It would try to update, fail and try to update and fail again.  And as you know, each time when that happens, the machine is occupied for hours.  So back to my question....I was not alone with those problems...there were posts from 2017 from the link that I shared that spoke of the same issues.  I'm just wondering if Acer or Microsoft solved that problem in a later Windows update or Acer did release any updates to Drivers/Bios etc.

• OK! But the same problem occurs when you do a cold install using microsoft iso?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jwee

Tinkerer

yes, from what I remember.  it made no difference when I did a fresh install.

• OK! I think we should start from the beginning. Is sata mode no bios in ahci? Is efi device first in boot priority? Have you already created a password in change supervisor password to try to disable secure boot if there is this function in bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• pk2007
    pk2007 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Yes you can't stop the updates in windows 10. But you have the option to defer the upgrades. You can also assign the bandwidth quota to use in the background to download the updates.
  • Jwee

Tinkerer

thanks for your reply.  I had tried previously to shut down or delay the updates...but nothing worked.  The Windows update seem to have a mind of its own..and hence the reason why I reverted back to Windows 7 in the end. 
  • Did you do what I said earlier?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Jwee

Tinkerer

I cant.  As mentioned in my first email.  I downloaded Windows 10 in 2017 but reverted back to Windows 7 after a few months because I was facing those problems.  And used Windows 7 from 2018 - 2019.

Come 2020, I will need to move to Windows 10 because Windows 7 will not be supported anymore. 

But before I do that, I wanted to ask the community/Acer to see if anyone is aware if those issues have been resolved by Windows 10 Updates/Bios/Hardware driver updates....before trying to reinstall Windows 10 again. 

So in short, I dont currently have Windows 10 installed to try out what you suggested.
  • Do you have another hard drive so you can try to install windows 10? This way you do not risk losing files that are on another hdd.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Jwee

Tinkerer

I'm actually not well versed in computers, so while I do have other portable hard drives. I do not know how to do that....ie how do I install Windows 10 on a hard drive other than the one on my computer?

• First plug the new hdd into some sata 3 desktop port. Then you should go to bios and put efi device first and new hdd first at boot.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer