[acer vx 15 (aspire VX5-591G)] not charging

ChiefKeif
ChiefKeif Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
2 Year old laptop. Replaced with brand new battery and ac adapter. Turns off when it is unplugged. I have tried resetting the battery, uninstalling and reinstalling the battery driver, and checking for bios updates. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    Here's the screenshot. It says the battery is not supported. I do know it is the same part number for the original battery. 
  • JackE
    >>>Turns off when it is unplugged.>>>

Connected standby doesn't apply to the battery. It refers to a sort of a hybrid sleep function that your laptop doesn't support. Your new battery looks fine. Did the old battery and charger behave the same way when the old charger was unplugged? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    The laptop would not power on at all with the old charger plugged in.
  • JackE
    With the laptop off and charger plugged in, is the battery LED lit? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    Constant blinking battery light (orange light).
  • JackE
    When turned off and plugged in, does it ever stop blinking say after about 10 hours or  overnight? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    It stays constant for blinking. I have not tried leaving it plugged in for that long yet. I'll start now.
  • JackE
    Within about an hour it should first go from blinking to a steady amber light. Report back one way or another after about an hour. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    edited December 2019
    Apologize for responding late due to the holidays. I left it charging over an hour it still blinked. Then I tried overnight it still blinked. Any ideas of internal problems like the port of the charger to the battery or the port to the battery fail? It isn't a huge problem and I can use it plugged in all the time, but if it was an easy fix or something relatively cheap to fix around 100 dollars. Thank you for your help so far. 
  • ChiefKeif
    I found my error. It was the switch on the board. It had to be pressed down to allow it to be charged. Thank you for your help
  • JackE
    Did you have the cover off or misaligned with the safety switch? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChiefKeif
    While replacing the battery I would just click the back in. I did not screw the back on. 
  • JackE
    OK. That explains it. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ