Acer Chromebook 315 2H - linux?

Options
fargodwe
fargodwe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I was just gifted a Chromebook 315 2H by my brother inlaw as a Christmas gift.  He asked to be sure I could put Linux on it since that is the OS I prefer.  The salesperson said yes.

I tried activating the Linux VM included with the system but since it runs in a VM all of the restrictions that apply to Chrome OS in turn apply to the VM.

I have a USB SSD that has a full installation of Linux Mint on it - basically Ubuntu.

I have looked on the internet to try to find out if I can just boot from that USB SSD.  The articles all say I have to go into developer mode and somehow boot from USB.  These are not working as I get a bunch of loud beeps and a small black window with white text in the upper left saying something about legacy boot not supported.

All I want to do is run the system off the USB SSD.  I am quite experience with Linux so I know not to touch the interal emmc so nothing would change there except having the ability to boot from USB.

Is there a way to do this or am I stuck with a very restricted system of Chrome OS?

thanks in advance.

David Eaton
Fargo, ND, USA

Answers

• fargodwe

Tinkerer

Options
    I have USB boot and legacy boot enabled.  The external disk I have (msdos partition table) boots on my other laptop fine.  It doesn't show in the boot menu only 2 options that I have no idea what they are.  I would have assumed it would show my Linux Mint installation.  If it makes any difference, and I'll be the first to say I don't know how to do it any other way, the disk uses grub to show a menu of boot options for the installation.

I don't know if this is a restricted topic on these forums - if so please just delete the thread.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
  • fargodwe

Tinkerer

Options
    I also tried the chronus as documented on a web page but it must be out of date because the process of getting the version of linux failed and it says I need to specify a place to get the distribution from.  I looked at the chronus readme and it doesn't state things in way I can follow to get it to work now. 
  • KenMiller316
    KenMiller316 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I too am trying to boot a Linux distribution of of USB.  Like fargodwe I can get to the Legacy boot and can see the USB storage device reported in the first menu option (U-boot).  However, I cannot figure out what 'dev:port' to pass to the usbboot command.  Nor can I discern how to identify what devices the BIOS sees?  Can someone please:

1. Confirm that this Chromebook 315 can boot from USB?
    2. Provide the specific usbboot command example including dev:port?

Thanks in advance!