Have We General Agreement on Linux-based BIOS/UEFI Upgrades?

Options
WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
So, within ACER Community I get a sense that when ACER offers a Linux-angled "BIOS" upgrade but our Linux-converted PC appears to run fine, skip the offer. ACER provides a Linux-angled BIOS/UEFI upgrade for the older of my two Aspires, both converted exclusively to Linux. This older model, a 2012 Aspire Z1620-UR31P, utilizes a hybrid BIOS/UEFI that switches between either mode as warranted. The offered Linux "BIOS" is P01.B0L versus the current P01.B0. So a dilemma: when you love Linux/Linux Mint would you love it even more with a Linux-angled UEFI/BIOS?
That said, P01.B0L installation options are DOS or Windows. Given my Linux only setup DOS installation would require a PC emulator or a DOS-bootable flash drive or CD. Seemingly not worth the effort unless some of my fellow ACER Community Linux users perceive any value from P01.B0L. Finally, ACER offers no Linux-related BIOS/UEFI upgrade for my 2014 Aspire, a pure UEFI E1-731-4651.
Thanks,
Bill
NOTE: I've noticed members with Windows-only PCs who apparently upgraded "BIOS" incorrectly with the Linux-intended version and only realized it when a further upgrade failed. Yikes!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>So a dilemma: when you love Linux/Linux Mint would you love it even more with a Linux-angled UEFI/BIOS?>>>

My Windows machines run either Cinnamon 18.3 or 19.3 pretty well without touching any of the factory-installed Windows-angled firmware. Cinnamon is all I use now. The setups have nearly the same look, feel & function of Microsoft's last halfway decent winver, Win7.  So I've decided not to try to fix things. But I think you should go for it. Then report back with results.   :)   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    I believe that anyone who really "loves" a Linux system, must have full knowledge to know and understand about real needs for bios updates and that no matter the mode (be it an inherited or pure bios-uefi), it is perfectly possible to use a distro whatever it is.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• WJB-2
    WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    Options
    MaClane said:
    I believe that anyone who really "loves" a Linux system, must have full knowledge to know and understand about real needs for bios updates and that no matter the mode (be it an inherited or pure bios-uefi), it is perfectly possible to use a distro whatever it is.
      So I get the "perfectly possible to use a [Linux distribution] whatever it is."  Shall I therefore take that as a dissension to JackE's "go for it?"  That is, leave well enough alone?