How do I update to Windows 10 1909 for Swift 3?

knightly
knightly Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I  can't update Windows 10, and it always says the problem is 
Intel Audio Display (intcdaud.sys), KB4465877
A driver is installed that causes stability problems on Windows. This driver will be disabled. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows.

I checked using Device Manager and it says that "the best drivers have already been installed", which can't be true since it's preventing me from updating Windows.

My device is SF314-55G laptop.

I looked at the drivers provided at the Acer support page and I found intcdaud.sys within the folder for VGA Intel, but I don't know how to install it. It's also from 2018/09/19, which might be outdated.

Answers

• Hello,
    Could you give me the first ten characters of the laptop serial number (S/N)?
    France
  • knightly
    edited December 2019
    It's NHX3USM001.

Just now I installed using the instructions in the Installation_Readme file, but looking at Properties from Device Manager, it is still the same version as before.
  • Could you check again the first ten?
    France
  • knightly
    Ah, it's NXH3USM001.

I've found more recent versions of the driver at issue as part of the graphics zip on Intel's website

Should I just install a more recent version from Intel?
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Yes you can but you have first to create a restore point and uninstall the current drivers (display and audio) from Device manager up to get basic or standard Microsoft drivers. Follow the Intel procedures #2 and #3: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html
    France
  • knightly
    edited December 2019
    How do I create a restore point?

Why do I need to uninstall both graphics and audio if it's only audio at issue?

When I tried to install using Device Manager, it says that Windows can't verify that it's compatible with my device. Is there a way to verify before I do anything else?

Or is it guaranteed to be compatible because it's just an updated version of the drivers already on my laptop?
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    My experience with SF314-56G (with nvidia mx250 gpu) in upgrading Windows is that it's not straightforward and easy.

I came from 1809 and I upgraded gradually - after Windows update tells me I can install the feature update - so please be patient, from 1809 to 1903 and 1909. Note that 1903 is a big jump, and between 1903 and 1909 is just a patch.

I don't know from which version you want to upgrade, but the best policy that helps for me are the following steps:

1. Before I start to upgrade, I make sure that in Device manager I have updated the drivers - like display, network and sound - are updated to the latest. This is a manual process, and works much better than getting the drivers straight from Acer. I also removed manually pre-installed Acer driver software like Realtek, because Windows Device manager knows best which driver to get which is compatible to the current Windows version you have. 

2. The next step is to check for windows updates and incrementally do all the updates that Windows update present to you until Windows update tells you that a feature update like 1903 can be installed. After this feature update is installed, make sure that as in step 1, you update all drivers in Device manager, including the Firmware driver (which will also upgrade your BIOS). I came from  BIOS 1.13 and upgraded to 1.14. 

Make sure you make a Windows image backup (including system restore), so in case your BIOS upgrade fails you always can go back to your image backup.

3. In case that Windows tell that a driver is incompatible, there is no other choice than to revert back to the previous windows installation, because sometimes Windows is dependent on the driver to be verified by Acer.

Hope this policy of mine will work for you as well. Good luck!