Added 8GB RAM running at 2666 but Windows is only showing 2400

jeraldrowell
jeraldrowell Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, Everyone!

Noob question I just bought an 8GB DDR4 RAM running at 2666 added it to my 4GB DDR4 RAM running at 2666 as well on my Nitro 5 (AN515-52-56VN). However, it's only running at 2400. Is that normal?

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    You have totally mismatched RAM on 3 different levels. Firstly you have 4 x 8 gb which will work but mismatched size never works well and will only run on dual channel for the matching part 4 x 4gb and single channel on the remaining 4gb instead of Dual channel throughout. Secondly you have a CL value of 19 for your 4gb RAM and 16 for your 8gb RAM and it will run on the slowest of the two CL19. Finally and possibly the worst part of the mismatch, is that you have mismatched "Ranks", your 4gb is single rank and the 8gb is dual rank, again it will only run on the slowest of the two and Dual rank is slower than Single rank. Please do not confuse "Rank" with "Channel", the fastest combo is equal RAM size, Single Rank, which will run in Dual Channel mode.

You MUST return your new 8gb RAM because it is Dual Rank and that is slower than Single Rank. Then you have a choice, either buy the correct 8gb RAM (link below) and have 4 x 8gb still mismatched but running faster or buy 2 x 8gb 2666Mhz Single Rank Cl19, which will give optimum performance in Dual channel mode for the entire RAM size (Link also below). Given the current low cost of memory I strongly advise the 8 x 8 solution and give your 4gb stick to a deserving cause lol

Correct Single 8gb stick  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437433
    Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 • CL=19 • Single Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2666 • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64 •

Correct 8 x 8gb sticks     https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437517
    Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 • CL=19 • Single Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2666 • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64 •

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Hi,
    I couldn't find the specs for your Crucial module, it looks like a wrong module, you should have bought a module with CL value of 19 to match the original Kingston module, try to get a 4GB module so that the system can utilise the dual channel mode, ( 4GB+4GB) runs using dual channel, (4GB+8GB) runs using dual and single channel which is slower than dual channel.
    Crucial modules start at a lower speed(2133,2400MHz) and overclock to 2333MHz whenever the higher speed is needed.
    https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/kingston-kcp426ss8-8-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-non-ecc-memory-ram-sodimm
  • jeraldrowell

Tinkerer

Do you mean this is fake? On the description, it says it's CL19.
  • Do you mean this is fake? On the description, it says it's CL19.
    I don't know whether it's fake or not but when I tried to google for it's specs I couldn't find the specs for this particular module, I have tried Crucial website as well, it shows the CL value as 16 in the final column of CPU-z.
  • andylb
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    You have totally mismatched RAM on 3 different levels. Firstly you have 4 x 8 gb which will work but mismatched size never works well and will only run on dual channel for the matching part 4 x 4gb and single channel on the remaining 4gb instead of Dual channel throughout. Secondly you have a CL value of 19 for your 4gb RAM and 16 for your 8gb RAM and it will run on the slowest of the two CL19. Finally and possibly the worst part of the mismatch, is that you have mismatched "Ranks", your 4gb is single rank and the 8gb is dual rank, again it will only run on the slowest of the two and Dual rank is slower than Single rank. Please do not confuse "Rank" with "Channel", the fastest combo is equal RAM size, Single Rank, which will run in Dual Channel mode.

You MUST return your new 8gb RAM because it is Dual Rank and that is slower than Single Rank. Then you have a choice, either buy the correct 8gb RAM (link below) and have 4 x 8gb still mismatched but running faster or buy 2 x 8gb 2666Mhz Single Rank Cl19, which will give optimum performance in Dual channel mode for the entire RAM size (Link also below). Given the current low cost of memory I strongly advise the 8 x 8 solution and give your 4gb stick to a deserving cause lol

Correct Single 8gb stick  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437433

Correct 8 x 8gb sticks     https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437517

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• jeraldrowell

Tinkerer

andylb said:

Can I get a Kingston RAM instead?
  • jeraldrowell

Tinkerer

By the way, does all Crucial RAM have dual ranks? Can you suggest a good RAM?
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    By the way, does all Crucial RAM have dual ranks? Can you suggest a good RAM?

No Crucial have single and dual rank, the links I posted above are for Single rank from Crucial and are the exact RAM that you need, you simply ordered the wrong RAM nothing at all wrong with Crucial

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★