Model Name acer nitro 5 AN517-51-56YW Part Number: NH.Q5WAA.001

Kevinb508
Kevinb508 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys im new to the gaming/laptop systems 
and i just got a acer nitro 5 AN517-51-56YW
and i want to upgrade the ram the pics is whats in it now but could i go to 23gb or is it only 4-8-16-32gb?? And is it really bad to put a 8x16 in it to be at 23 or 

thanks kevin

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Your right those Hyper X are excellent and they are the correct ones. The 24gb will still be faster than 16gb matched but I've seen some people get problems with mismatched RAM. If it were me i'd go for 8 x 8 or save up for 16 x 16

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• I suggest you check this topic: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html
    I would like to check the configuration of your ram with cpuz. Regarding the amount of ram, look at this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Ok if i can get on my pc tomorrow ill run the cpuz an report back 

but with that link i get that if i put a 16g in slot 2 it will take 8g of that chip an run dual chan with the other 8g chip in slot one at the speed of the 8g chip instead of the 16g. an have 8g running on single chan equaling out to 24g  like i said im new to this an learning pc’s 
  • The ideal is always to acquire identical and paired memories. For example: two 8gb memories or two 16gb ddr4 memories that both have the same characteristics as speed (even if it is not a requirement to enable dual channell) and cas latency. That way you would avoid any kind of incompatibility.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Ok this is what i see on cpuz 
    any input on this will help
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Kevinb508 said:
    Hi guys im new to the gaming/laptop systems 
    and i just got a acer nitro 5 AN517-51-56YW
    and i want to upgrade the ram the pics is whats in it now but could i go to 23gb or is it only 4-8-16-32gb?? And is it really bad to put a 8x16 in it to be at 23 or 

thanks kevin

Firstly my friend 8 x 16 is 24gb total, yes it will work but in a limited manner, you have 8gb 2666mhz Single rank CL19 so if you matched it with 16gb single rank CL19 you would get 8 x 8gb working in Dual Channel and the remaining 8gb of the 24gb total would work in Single Channel, in short mismatched RAM size will work but in an inefficient manner, however it would be faster than 8 x 8gb alone. However matched RAM is always the preferable option'
    The link below is to the Kingston 16gb RAM that matches your existing 8gb RAM.

DDR4-16 GB - SO-DIMM 260-Pin - 2666 MHz/PC4-21300 - CL19-1.2 V - Unbuffered - Non-ECC 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Ok an ya i know 8x16 is 24 i caught that an it wouldnt let me edit it (was tired) lol.
    an single rank is better than duel rank, dual channel is better than single right. would it be worth getting that one and doing 24 or mabe buy 2 and just put in 32 when i get the money or mabe buy similar price but better brand or is kingston good? 
  • Kevinb508

Tinkerer

• andylb
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Your right those Hyper X are excellent and they are the correct ones. The 24gb will still be faster than 16gb matched but I've seen some people get problems with mismatched RAM. If it were me i'd go for 8 x 8 or save up for 16 x 16

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Ok if those are good chips ill just get those an go straight to 32 wont take me long to get the money its just tight right now with Christmas coming up lol  or if you think theres better ones around the same price let me know 

but thanks for the help with this 
  • andylb
    Kevinb508 said:
    Ok if those are good chips ill just get those an go straight to 32 wont take me long to get the money its just tight right now with Christmas coming up lol  or if you think theres better ones around the same price let me know 

but thanks for the help with this 

They are an excellent choice m8 but check out the famed Userbenchmark link below, it contains info on the most tested and used RAM for your model
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-51/61125

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    @andylb Hyper-x impact memory has xmp profiles for overclocking. In this case, since the AN517-51 bios does not have xmp profiles, is it possible to use any overclocking program or application using xmp profiles? If so, what is the name of the program? Also, would the I5-9300H processor be compatible with xmp 2.0 profiles?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    @andylbHyper-x impact memory has xmp profiles for overclocking. In this case, since the AN517-51 bios does not have xmp profiles, is it possible to use any overclocking program or application using xmp profiles? If so, what is the name of the program? Also, would the I5-9300H processor be compatible with xmp 2.0 profiles?
    Good point and I think the answer is no it would probably run at 2400 mhz
    @Kevinb508 Hold that purchase it is important that the RAM doesn't have an xmp profile because your system does not support xmp

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    This would probably be a better stick for your model and it is listed guaranteed compatible for your exact model
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-51/CT12142086
    Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 • CL=16 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2666 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 64 •

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Ok ill hold on getting those. But i was looking at those ones but ive read that they have/had high failure rates before dont know about now tho  

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

They say in the reviews for the crucial ones that it will only run at 2666 with xmp profiles which i see mine was at 1333 with nothing running or would that change if i was running somthing?? 
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Nah your running at 2666 you double the DRAM Frequency shown in screen 1. I need to research more on the RAM basically we need a 2666mhz that doesn't run on xmp

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

Oh ok ill try an look for some tomorrow too an if i see some ill post it here to see what you guys think 
  • andylb
    i'll be looking too m8

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kevinb508

Tinkerer

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820232169
    ??
    should i try to fine one with a better cl rating not to sure whats is good an bad with the cl rating 
  • andylb
    The CL rating is not as important as making sure it has not got xmp throttling, I think the ones with lower CL ratings have XMP

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★