Can I add a M2 SSD to my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51

Nattermusic
Nattermusic Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51
It currently has the INTEL 256 SSD installed in it.
I wanted to know if there was an additional M2 SSD slot, or am i limited to the 2.5 inch slot that is on the back?
If I am only able to use the 2.5 inch slot, what would be the best HDD option to install in the 2.5 inch slot?  Money is no object.
I'm having issues finding the answer to this online.
Thanks!

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Link below to Userbenchmark has the best user tested compatible SSD's for your exact model, there are many others but these have been the most thoroughly tested
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-51/61125

You have one additional M2 slot that takes NVMe, PCle or a SATA drive, see below

ModelM.2 Slot 1 CompatibilityM.2 Slot 2 Compatibility
    AN515-51, AN515-52 and AN515-53 (Intel)NVMe PCIe or SATANot Available
    AN515-41 and AN515-42 (AMD)SATA onlyNot Available
    AN515-43 (AMD)NVMe PCIeSATA only

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Nattermusic

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    andylb said:
    Link below to Userbenchmark has the best user tested compatible SSD's for your exact model, there are many others but these have been the most thoroughly tested

You have one additional M2 slot that takes NVMe, PCle or a SATA drive, see below

You said that I have one additional M2 slot, but the layout you sent below that comment says "M.2 Slot 2 Compatibility Not Available" 

I took that to mean that I only have 1 M2 slot and that it is already being used by my 256gog SSD drive.  I could be wrong, I am getting exactly this kind of conflicting information which is why I wanted clarification.  If my only option is to use the 2.5 inch slot, then i don't want to buy an addition M2 SSD drive for no reason. 
    I suppose I could open it and see for myself, but I am trying to avoid opening it more than I have to if possible. I want to order what i need and only mess with the hardware after my questions have been clarified.

Can I get an additional M2 SSD drive, or am I limited to the 2.5 inch slot for an additional HDD when i am already using a single 256gig M2 SSD?

Is there one M2 slot, or two M2 slot in the nitro AN515-51?

Thanks!
  • andylb
    I don't understand your confusion. you have one extra M2 slot that will take NVMe PCIe or SATA only the AN515-43 has 2 extra slots

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Nattermusic

Tinkerer

andylb said:

You said that I have one additional M2 slot, but the layout you sent below it says M.2 Slot 2 "Not Available" - I took that to mean that I only have 1 M2 slot in the AN515-51 model and that is already being used by my 256gig drive.. I could be wrong, which is why I am asking.  I don't want to buy another M2 SSD drive if my only option is the 2.5 inch

Thanks!
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    The chart above is for ADDITIONAL slots not TOTAL slots
    The slots in the chart above are additional to the existing slot that your hard drive currently occupies. Most models including yours, have just one additional slot for a total of 2 slots. What makes the chart confusing is that the AN515-43 has 2 additional slots for a total of 3 slots. So YES you have one additional slot ok

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Just to clarify what colleague andylb said, as I also have the model AN515-51. This model only has one 2.5 "slot to add a 2.5" sata 3 ssd or hdd and only a single m2 2280 slot to add one ssd nvme or sata 3. This model definitely doesn't have two m2 2280 slots .
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Nattermusic

Tinkerer

Can anyone else see why i am confused by the information I am getting? Andy say's that I have 2 M-2 slots.  He said that the chart above was for additional slots (he wrote it in caps).  Egy, you are telling me I have a single M-2 slot. Which is what the chart seemed to indicate to me.  I'm not an *****, I am getting conflicting information here.  I will open the laptop and see for myself. 
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    I know it looks confusing, below are the official technical specs for your laptop from Acer. you will see that it takes both an HDD AND an SSD
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NH.Q2REK.002
    If it shipped with an HDD AND an SSD then there is no 3rd slot, it has two slots. If it shipped with an HDD or SSD ONLY, then it has one available upgrade slot. I hope that helps

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Nattermusic

Tinkerer

Thanks Andy, I'm not trying to be difficult and i appreciate the clarification.  My AN515-51 came with a 256gig SSD M-2 drive.  From what I understand from this thread, my only option to add a drive is going to be using the 2.5 slot on the back.  That is no problem at all.  I just wanted to avoid opening it too many times if i could avoid it, and avoid buying the wrong thing unnecessarily.  

Thanks again!  Cheers
  • andylb
    Thanks Andy, I'm not trying to be difficult and i appreciate the clarification.  My AN515-51 came with a 256gig SSD M-2 drive.  From what I understand from this thread, my only option to add a drive is going to be using the 2.5 slot on the back.  That is no problem at all.  I just wanted to avoid opening it too many times if i could avoid it, and avoid buying the wrong thing unnecessarily.  

Thanks again!  Cheers

No problem m8 and there we have it, I think lol

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Nattermusic

Tinkerer

andylb said:

Thanks again!  Cheers

No problem m8 and there we have it, I think lol

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you
    HA!! 
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Yes mate that would be good, don'r forget you need a data cable too

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Or you can replace the 256gb ssd m2 2280 for a 2tb ssd m2 2280 sata 3. The colleague xapim has the model g3-572 which shares the same motherboard with the model an515-51 and was able to successfully install a sst m2 2280 sata 3 of 2tb.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Nattermusic

Tinkerer

I wish I had paid more attention to the comment above about the data cable... I just got the drive and the cable is missing.  I ordered one but man this is turning into a project!  I absolutely love this laptop, but just to install a drive?  Do you guys have any clear instructions on how to dissemble this thing safely and install the sata data cable?
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Couple of Links to a videos installing m2 ssd drive to your Nitro 5 laptop. Kindly click YES if I have helped answer your question, thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3j6kB-_n1U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QmvTcGbtwc&t=49s

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★