Acer aspire V3-571 win 7 to win 10 issue

wilf
wilf Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi currently using win 7 and wish to move to win 10. Bios password unknown and no facillity to reset available. Cannot access win 10 any - clues please to this impass. Wilf

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    (1) What is full ACER model number?
    (2) Was Win7 the original factory installed Windows version?
    (3) How did you make or get the Win10 installation media?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wilf
    edited December 2019

Thank you

Q 1

Q2

I believe so. Purchased 5-6 years ago from a National retailer of electrical goods, appliance etc. Was in original packaging

Q3

Sought the advice of a local ‘computer’ person who has a local radio slot and a column in a local paper.(reasonable creds I thought) Sought advice as to acquire win 10. Within 24 hours contacted to inform that bios password and means to reset etc were not available. Demonstrated for my benefit. I did with my computer primitive brain understand. Essentially the computer is locked into win 7.

Thanks again

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

• JackE
    That is not the ACER model number. The model number would be something like Aspire 5432 . A BIOS password is not involved in trying to install Win10 unless you yourself set a BIOS password. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wilf
    No I did not reset/changeP/W. The method chosen to install was a. disc which I assumed was Ok. Is it possible to lock a computer in the manner the  engineer determined ie to win 7?  Acer aspire V3-571
  • JackE
    Where did you get the Win10 installation disc? Typically a Win10 upgrade like this usually can no longer be activated without paying a Microsoft licensing fee. The free Win10 upgrade period ended about 5 years ago. Also, If you tap the F2 key on a cold startup and a BIOS password is required to enter the BIOS setup menu,  then your engineer probably set a password if you didn't. Otherwise, a password isn't required.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    wilf said:
    No I did not reset/changeP/W. The method chosen to install was a. disc which I assumed was Ok. Is it possible to lock a computer in the manner the  engineer determined ie to win 7?  Acer aspire V3-571
    There is a way "to lock a computer" there are different ways, what is your laptop/desktop model number? As there are different BIOSs that have different options by putting either a Supervisor, User, HDD, Admin passwords? By your posts, it sounds that you can get into Win-7 and everything works ok but, can you get into the BIOS? Because if you have an "Admin Password" this will prevent someone from changing boot options or changing the BIOS setup, but it won't interfere with normal operation, so it sounds like, that is what you might have and it would be impossible to install Win-10 OP as, the computer wouldn't be able to accesses the Win-10 installation file from either USB, DVD etc. Btw, for BIOS Password Recovery for laptops with an Insyde H20 (generic which most Acer laptops have) its an 8 decimal digits and the password is: 03133610 be more specific.

• wilf
    Hi and thanks
    Mod No. V3-571-32378G75Makk.
    I did attempt specified digit P/W to no avail. What exactely is Insyde H20 as the failure appears to indicate a non presence on this laptop
    regards
  • JackE
    Please respond to my earlier post. Are you saying a password is asked for?  If yes, and you and your engineer don't know the password, then you must contact ACER service center in your region for further help. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ