Aspire ATC-605- UB11 Graphic Cards Suggestions

Options
joschroth
joschroth Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Thanks to JordonB for answering my question about the PSU so quickly but I forgot to also ask about graphics cards. Whoops.

I looked at the PSU's recommended and I'm going to go with the https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202

I've been looking online and people have said the graphic card needs to be a certain size to fit but it gets confusing on the exact dimensions the card needs to be. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @joschroth

I installed a graphics card in my TC-605 a few years ago that was 6.7 inches long (170mm) and it barely fit.  I think I had maybe 3 mm to spare.  This is the card that I installed.

There's a USB 3.0 header cable that prevents you from installing a longer card than 172 mm........however,

A couple workarounds that I've seen people use......

1. Some people simply unplugged the USB 3.0 cable because they didn't care about the front USB ports working or not.
    2.  Some people used a low profile header cable.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20-Pin-Internal-Header-Ribbon-Cable-Low-Profile-Connector.html

I don't think the TC-605 was designed to be heavy gaming rig because there's not a whole lot of clearance at the bottom of the case for a dual slot card.  Acer has the Predator and Nitro for that.  Probably better to keep the card less than 10 inches so you don't have any airflow problems.  You can check userbenchmark to see what other people have installed.  If you do a little detective work on userbenchmark, you can figure out the exact model that they installed.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • joschroth
    joschroth Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I've read that it had to be a certain length to fit but wasn't sure how long. I've also read how some people got low profile cards.

I've also read about the USB 3.0 cable that powers the ports on the front that was causing problems with installing a card. I actually use those ports so I ordered the low profile header cable. Thanks again for providing a link.

I don't think this model was designed for being a heavy gaming rig either but I'm not going to be playing those type of games anyway. Just older and some streaming games from Steam. 

Thanks again for writing back so quickly and having such great advice.  =)