E5-571-54R4 freezes sporadically

Mango1234567
Mango1234567 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have an Acer E5-571-54R4 laptop with a Core i5-4210U 1.7GHz CPU and 8GB RAM running Windows 10 with updates current.

Sometimes it freezes. The screen is "paused" at whatever was on it at the time. If it's playing a sound, the last few ms of the sound repeat over the speakers. No response from keyboard or mouse. The only way I can recover it is to long press the power button and reboot it.

I'm having a hard time troubleshooting this because of how infrequently it happens - once or twice a month maybe. Other than the OS itself and pre-installed background programs, there is no common software running when the problem happens, so I suspect a driver issue or hardware fault. Besides Windows, I have some Adobe CreativeSuite stuff, Microsoft Office, Firefox, Chrome, and some video software called OBS installed. However, these are not necessarily running when a freeze occurs.

I have run memtest86 which indicated no errors. A surface scan of hard drive came back clean. I manually updated drivers via Acer's website, and when that didn't work, ran Windows Update to see if Microsoft had any better drivers than what I was using.  BIOS was updated today, then a freeze happened 20 minutes later.

I have underclocked my CPU and GPU thinking that overheating was a problem, but then observed a crash happen when internal temperature was just 50ºC.

I see nothing in Event Viewer from the time of the crash. There is no BSOD nor memory dump file. Virus/malware scans are clean.

If anyone could give me some suggestions for how I could determine what is causing these crashes I would appreciate it.

Answers

• PotatoBandit
    PotatoBandit Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I have this same exact issue with my Acer Swift 5, SF515-51T-73TY, Intel Core i7-8565U 8th gen , 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD. For the love of God it will randomly happen, I could be using it for 5 minutes and it freezes or i could be using it for hours and then it freezes, sending the laptop back in and hopefully I can get a replacement. 

Btw does this video accurately describe what you're referring to? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIq4qQoBRQ
  • Mango1234567
    Mango1234567 Member Posts: 2 New User
    That's it exactly.