Massive FPS drops and GPU overheating spikes when playing Destiny 2 Helios 300

RAF1172
RAF1172 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I bought a Helios 300 a few months back to get back into PC gaming, and mainly to get into the PC version of my most played game, Destiny 2. Now, while the game runs excellently MOST of the time, the experience is jarred by unexpected massive FPS dips whether playing pve or pvp activites, even at moments where there's not much going on in the screen in terms of action or graphics effects that might suddenly be giving the GPU a hard time. I decided to verify with Predator Sense to get a sense of what was going on when those moments occurred. Sure enough, the laptop is running extremely hot after a few minutes of playtime, and noticed that there were massive heat spikes in the GPU graph at the moments the fps dips occurred.

So the question is, what can I do? I already bought a cooling mat but it's not doing much if at all to help the problem. I'd hate to run the game at the lowest settings possible since, well, I might as well just stay on Xbox. And I am so not keen on opening up the laptop to apply thermal paste, if that's the only surefire cure. Anyway, any hints or help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• NJ_RAMS_FAN
    NJ_RAMS_FAN Member Posts: 2 New User
    Have you tried under undervolting? What Helios model is it? I get a steady fps on destiny with my helio after adjusting a few things. G3-751.