Acer Nitro 5 - Radeon update ( settings/undervolting)

YehorUkraine
YehorUkraine Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Dear friends, just received an update from AMD (Radeon softwear,the update knocked down the previous settings). Please tell me how to do undervolting my rx560x(nitro 5) (the temperature is disturbing me). Any usefull video or something to setting up RAM, processor and video card(undervolting or other things)
thank you very much!!

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Post a screen of Nitrosense during gameplay please but those temperatures are within the normal range and undervolting the gpu or cpu is not needed and will result in a performance loss for no reason. Your Laptop has built in safety features for excessive temperature and it will Throttle back or even shutdown if temperatures threaten to damage components. So in short your enquiry about undervolting is not necessary because your temperatures are within specs. 
    If you are still concerned I would repaste the cpu and gpu with Grizzly Kryonaut because the original pasting has been known to have problems, also game with fans on Max  with Coolboost and use a USB powered cooling mat, doing these two things will often result in a temperature drop of between 10 to 15 degrees

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    andylb said:
    Post a screen of Nitrosense during gameplay please but those temperatures are within the normal range and undervolting the gpu or cpu is not needed and will result in a performance loss for no reason. Your Laptop has built in safety features for excessive temperature and it will Throttle back or even shutdown if temperatures threaten to damage components. So in short your enquiry about undervolting is not necessary because your temperatures are within specs. 
    If you are still concerned I would repaste the cpu and gpu with Grizzly Kryonaut because the original pasting has been known to have problems, also game with fans on Max  with Coolboost and use a USB powered cooling mat, doing these two things will often result in a temperature drop of between 10 to 15 degrees

Thanks for the tips, I will use them.
    My questions may come from a misinterpretation that the lower the temperature=the longer the service (and a lot of  advisors in many forums and videos talk about the benefits undervolting).
    Anyway, thank you for help.

Undervolting is a good tool if your CPU is pushing the limits and constant temperatures near the limits will decrease the life. However your CPU is well within the normal range but I still advise repasting with Grizzly because of problems reported with the stock pasting and many users have reported significant temperature drops after repasting. Below is a video on how to do it and it is relatively easy however if your laptop has a sticker placed over one of the screws stating void if removed, you will have to have Acer do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA&t=24s

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited December 2019
    Temperatures below 90 deg do not require undervolting but make sure your gpu is set up as below

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, then do this:
    Open your AMD control center 
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.11.2 or higher and click express upgrade. If you don't have the Adrenalin Control Center download it here
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-2

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• YehorUkraine

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    This is a very common problem on this Forum and is easily fixed by setting up the AMD Control Center properly. You are gaming on your Dedicated Vega 8 card, in order to use the RX560 x do this

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, then do this:
    Open your AMD control center 
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.11.2 or higher and click express upgrade. If you don't have the Adrenalin Control Center download it here
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-2

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

this is already a passed stage) everything works well, before that I did undervolting  by video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwV_pjpgalg) and the temperatures have dropped significantly, I want to do the same, but the settings have changed a bit already!
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    What temperatures are you getting on the cpu and it isn't the GPU that would require undervolting it would be the cpu

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• YehorUkraine

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    What temperatures are you getting on the cpu and it isn't the GPU that would require undervolting it would be the cpu
    processor 70-75 degrees, video card 85-90 ( i played only divinity original sin 2 in ultra / high settings , before that it was 7-10 degrees lower)
  • andylb
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• YehorUkraine

Tinkerer

andylb said:

My questions may come from a misinterpretation that the lower the temperature=the longer the service (and a lot of  advisors in many forums and videos talk about the benefits undervolting).
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    andylb said:

Undervolting is a good tool if your CPU is pushing the limits and constant temperatures near the limits will decrease the life. However your CPU is well within the normal range but I still advise repasting with Grizzly because of problems reported with the stock pasting and many users have reported significant temperature drops after repasting. Below is a video on how to do it and it is relatively easy however if your laptop has a sticker placed over one of the screws stating void if removed, you will have to have Acer do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA&t=24s

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★