Adding 8gb RAM to Aspire 5 Slim

Ted723
Ted723 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Factory has 4gb. 
 If I add an 8gb stick will I then have 12gb or must each RAM stick match? I.e. (2) 4gb sticks or (2) 8gb sticks. Must they match?

Answers

• Sathish2388
    Sathish2388 Member Posts: 85 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Ted723.. Hi! May i have the complete model number of your laptop?
  • Ted723

A515-43-R19L

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @Ted723
    According to the manual the slots for upgrade is 2 and Crucial also states that the maximum memory is 32GB, so I guess that you will be able to upgrade to 16GB.

"Hit Accept if its Helpful"
  • Ted723

The Tom...but...

Will a 4gb work WITH an 8gb, giving us 12gb? That is the crux. I have an 8gb on it's way. Old days, ya had to match. You could do 2 4gb OR 2 8gb. But not a 4 AND an 8...(Back then it was 4mb...lol). 

Your help is truly appreciated Tom :>)
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Your stuck, if you already ordered that ram! If it doesn't work, then send the ram back and do the following. Adding an 8GB stick will work but it has to be the same ram as your existing 4Gb, check your existing ram with CPUz 'Memory' and 'SPD' sections and match that ram, if you want to do it that way? As your Acer Aspire A515-43 can take a max 2x 16GB DDR4 SDRAM.
  • Ted723
    Steven...Thx. The 8gb I ordered is an Acer product FOR this model number. I'm assuming from your kind response that I CAN use this 8gb...AND I should have 13gb when I screw the base back in ???

I'm not that savvy any longer...lol.

Thx again Steven
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Ted723 said:
    Steven...Thx. The 8gb I ordered is an Acer product FOR this model number. I'm assuming from your kind response that I CAN use this 8gb...AND I should have 13gb when I screw the base back in ???

I'm not that savvy any longer...lol.

Thx again Steven
    Yes, it could be but its better to check the existing ram specs, that the 4GB you have has, its easy with CPUz and see if they match, not the brand but the specs, btw its 12GB not 13GB total lol cheers glad to help.