Aspire 5553g hardware upgrades?

JoseMarti
JoseMarti Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The cpu in the laptop is an AMD four core Phenom II 2.0ghz, or was that 2.2ghz; anyhow something a bit faster would be nice. Anyone done a cpu upgrade?

I'm going to fit an ssd drive, but I'm wondering if that will be a waist of time and money, as if the controller is sata 1 or 2 then there will not be much of a benefit. Anyone know what the controller is?
I did hear that if the ssd is partitioned, as in two operating systems, that the drive will run slower. Any info on that?

Thanks for your input.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    The CPU you have installed is the biggest, baddest CPU they made for that model, so no gain by trying to swap out CPUs. The SSD will make a huge improvement for booting and general use, even when running in SATA2 mode (3.0G/sec vs. 6.0G/s for SATA3). Remember that the bulk of the time spent waiting on a HDD is while the head is seeking the right position to pull data, there's no time involved in that with a SSD essentially. The drive should run any slower when partitions than it does when all one partition.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JoseMarti
    JoseMarti Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply, I realize the cpu is the biggest that Acer have installed, but as this is an old machine I was hoping that an owner has fitted a newer cpu.
    I have another very old laptop with 3gb mem (max), low spec and a 2 core 2ghz cpu. I set them both up and ran the same tasks at the same time and both finished the tasks at the same time. And the Acer has 6gb mem and a four core cpu. I know m.2 and usb3.1 are great advancements (not on my machine) but what about cpu's; have amd given up making them faster?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Newer CPUs are both faster and use less power, both from AMD and Intel, but neither supports new CPUs on old motherboards, even if the socket is the same. They typically support CPUs from the same generation but that's as far as they go (there are unusual exceptions at times). Your processor is from the AMD "Champlain" family and abut the middle of their quad core versions. That means you could likely upgrade as far as the Phenom II X940 BE model, but I don't k now of anyone who has tried that. The Phenom II X940 BE is also quad core, but 2.4GHz instead of 2.0. That's likely to not give a speedup that's worth the expense, plus finding a good chip with that age could be problematic...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.