Acer Swift 3 SF314-57 i5 10th gen - The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.

RazvanB
RazvanB Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I have encountered this issue a couple of times in less than one month. The behavior seems to happen more often during battery charging. Although I am not using more than the browser this happened twice in 20 minutes. The system just shuts down (probably hibernation). I have monitored the CPU cores temperature, they have spikes of temp > 90 Celsius grades, on random cores. This temperature spikes are quite big, from 50 Celsius they go to 90+ in an instant, then go back. I don't know what is the reason and if I might do something to find out the root cause and fix it, as it does not seem normal.

Below the details from Event Viewer:

The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ‎2019‎-‎12‎-‎08T13:45:00.025158200Z             
ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning: TCPU             
_HOT = 372K

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>88</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>85</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000020</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-08T13:45:00.025736700Z" />
  <EventRecordID>34869</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="988" ThreadID="23200" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>LAPTOP-HH39IVQE</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="ThermalZoneDeviceInstanceLength">29</Data>
  <Data Name="ThermalZoneDeviceInstance">Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning: TCPU</Data>
  <Data Name="HibernateTime">2019-12-08T13:45:00.025158200Z</Data>
  <Data Name="_HOT">372</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Power plan and options:

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    It looks like the temperature sensor is having problems, 372K is pretty much 100C which is where the processor shuts the system down. So in that aspect things are working just as they should. You shouldn't be seeing temperatures much above 90C though, so likely the thermal paste wasn't well applied. Since your system is only 2 months old it's best to let Acer fix it for you under warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Batmaci
    Batmaci Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    oh man, i have the same issue with exact model. I have just bought it 3 weeks ago. Did you find any solution or did you send to acer? 
  • RazvanB

Tinkerer

@Batmaci: I sent it for service repair and they replaced the mainboard. After replacement I had no more issues.
  • Batmaci
    Batmaci Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    damned, how this is possible for a new laptop. pretty annoying indeed. are you from Germany? 
    beside that have you had a bios update? i have today update bios to 1.1.2 version, numbers seems to be better. i need to test it longer to see if it is just accurate.
  • RazvanB

Tinkerer

No, i had no bios update performed. I am from Romania, I gave the laptop to the store I bought it from and they sent it to an acer authorized service partner. They said they have replaced the mainboard even if they did not reproduce the issue during their monitoring.
  • salioak
    salioak Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the exact same issue. This is a major issue right now because I am using the computer for working from home due to COVID-19. I cannot send the machine out for service nor can I pick it up. What is the usual turnaround time for service if I'm able to get it shipped out? My laptop is 3 months old and the model is SF314-57
  • sourc7
    sourc7 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    salioak said:
    I am having the exact same issue. This is a major issue right now because I am using the computer for working from home due to COVID-19. I cannot send the machine out for service nor can I pick it up. What is the usual turnaround time for service if I'm able to get it shipped out? My laptop is 3 months old and the model is SF314-57
    It's a feature called Intel(R) SpeedShift EPP, which increase CPU clock rapidly to increase program responsiveness & performance. But the CPU temperature also jump spontaneously, so it require proper cooling.

There is 4 things you can do to cooldown the CPU:
    1. Undervolt the CPU using Throttlestop
    2. Enable "Processor energy performance preference policy", open powershell as admin then run following:
      powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 -ATTRIB_HIDE

3. Open Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Processor power management -> Processor energy performance preference policy -> Plugged in: (change to 100%) (it will increase Intel(R) SpeedShift EPP Threshold, higher mean prefer lower energy consumption)
    4. Replace the factory thermal paste with high-end thermal paste (may void the warranty!)

• PBrennan
    PBrennan Member Posts: 1 New User
    I cleaned the exhaust for the fan...full of lint causing it to heat up.
  • RazvanB

Tinkerer

Hi all,
    Since I had the mainboard replaced (after the overheating/shutting down), I've had no issues anymore. I am using the laptop intensively (10h/day). So I guess it really was a hardware issue.
  • SherD
    SherD Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same exact issue with the same exact model.

This is frustrating, Acer.