How turn system disk RAID 0 to two separate disks - Predator PH315-52

PalkaBalka
PalkaBalka Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
I have buy Helios 300 (2019) with factory set 1TB RAID 0 disk (2x512 SSD with Windows 10) + 1TB HDD
I prefer to split SSD disks (I dont need RAID 0)
In "disk managment tool" SDD disk shows as Disk 1 and HDD disk is Disk 0
At Bios (1.04ver) at Information panel is "SATA Mode: RST Premium with Optane" and are 3 disks: HDD0 - first SSD disk, HDD1 - second SSD disk, HDD2 - 1TB HDD
At Bios at Main panel is "SATA Mode" - RST Premium with Optane (and 2 other options are: AHCI and RST with Optane). I dont see any other options to change settings with SATA,
At Intel Rapid Storage Technology panel (at Windows) is info that controler is NVMe  
What shoud I do to brake RAID and have 2 separate SSD disk?
(I already made windows recovery USB with system and I dont have any important data at disk so clean install is not a problem)

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,090 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Hi,
    Please follow these steps.
    1.Download and installed Macrium Reflect.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    2.Connect a spare HDD with a SATA to USB cable.
    3.Backup the full image of your current system on to the HDD using Macrium.
    4,Create a bootable USB recovery disk using Macrium.
    5.Go to Control panel-> Programs, uninstall IRST.
    6.Go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab and switch SATA mode to AHCI.
    7. Remove one M.2 SSDs and 1TB HDD from the laptop, then insert the recovery USB disk.
    8. Go to BIOS, change the boot order to make the USB disk as your first boot device.
    9. when reboot, connect the external HDD to the laptop and recover the image on to the M.2 SSD.
    Please read the tutorial for the procedures of backing up, creating USB disk and recovering the image:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
  • PalkaBalka
    PalkaBalka Member Posts: 2 New User
    thank you for respond....
    to be clear
    1) if I dont need backup of my system (its without any valuable data) can I skip points 1 to 5 and 9?
    2) it is really necessary to phisicaly remove disks from laptop?
    3) I dont get point 5 - why? its done after backup and recovery disk, so it will be back after system image rocover 
  • No problem, yes , if you have the facility to do a clean install, that means you have prepared a bootable recovery with Windows iso image, you can skip those steps, I asked you to remove the drives because there may be reminiscent files from previous installation in the drives, so you may find it difficult to boot with the new drive.
    Yes, that's correct, if you want you can leave the IRST uninstalled but the BIOS may still look for that program, you can not remove RAID from BIOS, even after recovery of image, I would suggest you to remove IRST from the system. 
  • Aud2
    Aud2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    In #3 you are saying to image/clone the ssd (c:) drive, correct? It will pick up all the stripes on the SSD and HDD, and then it's an independent system disk and the raid is broken.
    I assume this is the same for the Helio 500.
    Is there a way to do raid1 on this system? 
  • Aud2 said:
    In #3 you are saying to image/clone the ssd (c:) drive, correct? It will pick up all the stripes on the SSD and HDD, and then it's an independent system disk and the raid is broken.
    I assume this is the same for the Helio 500.
    Is there a way to do raid1 on this system? 
    Hi,
    No, you need to backup the whole contents of HDD, if you backup only the C: drive, some files needed to boot may miss and the system will not be able to boot.
    For example, if I am going to transfer my system to another drive, I will have to backup the whole image in Disk1(EFI System,RecoveryG and C:) , Disk0 is my data drive, so I don't need to backup the image on it.