Why does my laptop gpu throttle at 70 degree on my Acer swift 3 (SF314-52G)

Options
BrianLiu
BrianLiu Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a mx150 on my laptop and after running games with MSI Afterburner on it is telling me I am thermal throttling at 70 degrees. Is there a way to adjust where it throttles?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options
    minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • WARZAZATH
    WARZAZATH Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I got the exact same problem on Acer swift 3 (SF314-52G), And here is the solution I found:
    - Install latest drivers from nvidia (with outdated drivers it doesn't work)
    - Increase the GPU throtteling temperature as shown here for example
    - you can check GPU throtteling temperature as well as various other stuff about your GPU using GPU-Z

I hope this helps,

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Erick
  • ibrahimx
    ibrahimx Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the same laptop. I was wondering why it's throttling at 70 celcius and I found it's because of power limiting of Acer, not due to heat. You can find further information in these pages: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttling-on-intel-i5-8250u.266531/

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/

• WARZAZATH
    WARZAZATH Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2020
    Options
    To me it looks like we have two different issues there.
    As far as I understand you are talking about the CPU throttling which is quite off-topic because the issue discussed here is about GPU throttling.
    And I'm pretty confident in saying that the GPU issue on my laptop (that looked ***** similar to what BrianLiu described) was indeed heat related:
    - when running, the temperature ALWAYS stayed under 70°c, and in game it stayed constant at 69°c
    - GPU-Z showed "therm" at "PerfCap reason" while in game
    - GPU-Z showed "Current throttle limit" at 70°c, default at 94°C and min at 56°c
    - after I increased the "temperature target" in asus GPU tweak II (which was set by default at 70°c) up to 90°c performances increased, and the GPU now reaches 89°c
    But thanks for the hint, there may be more to tweak on that laptop, I might have a look at the CPU later on.

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Erick