Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 - Battery Drains When Switched Off

Simon20192018
Simon20192018 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I recently purchased a brand new Swift 3 laptop and noticed that when I switch the laptop on after 24/48 hours of it being switched off, the battery would record a charge of between 92% - 98%. I also just switched it on after 5 days of being switched off and it states that the battery has a charge of 90%.

I have spoken to Acer Online Support and they have said that it is normal for a battery to deplete whilst switched off! I am pretty sure that this is not the case.

Can you lot please let me know if this is normal and if you are experiencing similar issues and how to resolve, I have the feeling it is a hardware issue and needs to be sent back for repair.

Answers

• What has happened is that your battery is reaching the maximum amount of charge... basically if its “On or Off” its going to drain... a way that you can confirm this is by bringing your Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 to a complete charge. Then if you really want to be 100% sure (that there is nothing wrong) then take the battery out of the laptop without turning it off first, and then put the battery back in and turn it back on.

If it displays a much lower amount.... for example you did this and it went from 100% to below 70, than your battery is definitely on its way out... by the way, this is simply a way of checking the (real) charge on your battery, if it is somewhere around 75 or 80%... than your battery is still in moderate condition. Reasons for this is that with lithium polymer ion batteries, while they can store a rather large amount of power, each battery can only be charged so many times.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    It is actually normal for there to be a slight battery drain when 'switched off'. With modern motherboards there is still some power usage even when off, this allows the system to do things like 'Wake on LAN' and to have programmable actions for the power button. It's normally not a problem since the battery would take a really long time to go all the way down, but if you are planning on storing the system for months then it's best to leave the charger plugged in, or at least be aware of the drain so you can periodically charge it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.