Format required for second SSD? - Aspire A515-54G

DB22
DB22 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
If I install a second SSD in my Aspire A515-54G, does that drive need to be formatted in any particular way? Should it be partitioned, or just formatted using the Windows format function? I intend to use the second drive to store music and perhaps some documents and pictures, and keep the OS on the factory 512GB SSD. Thanks!

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    DB22

Hi,

If you are just using it as a secondary storage device simply plug it in - go to disk management and format the disk. give it a drive letter etc. and you can start storing music, documents and pictures. 

If the comments are helpful, please click on "like"
    If the comments resolves your issue, please click on "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    DB22

Hi,

If you are just using it as a secondary storage device simply plug it in - go to disk management and format the disk. give it a drive letter etc. and you can start storing music, documents and pictures. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• DB22

Tinkerer

mohan2018 said:
    DB22

Hi,

Thanks, mohan2018!
  • DB22

Tinkerer

Generally, when you insert a new SSD or other storage device to a computer, you will be prompted that you need to format the disk drive before using it. So, if it is a brand new SSD, you need to format it for normal use. That can be done easily. Directly click "Format Disk" in the small pop-out "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" window. Or you can use Disk Management or Diskpart tool to format the new disk. On the other hand, if it is a used SSD with a proper file system that is compatible with your current OS, you don't have to format it again.

Thank you very much!

Thanks, mohan2018!
  • DB22

Tinkerer

Thank you to all who answered. The computer did not recognize the new drive right away; I had to find it in Disk Management to format it and assign a drive letter. My new drive is installed and working perfectly thanks to your assistance.