32GB DDR4 SODIMM now available anyone try and upgrade to these modules on NITRO 5 - AN515-51

MyFirstNitroV
MyFirstNitroV Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Has anyone used the 32gb DDR4 SODIMM that are now available on their Nitro 5's ? I know that the 7th Gen CORE i5 supports 64gb on 2 Channels. However, has anyone tried this since Memory prices have dropped like a rock! (1x 32gb sodimm for $119 US)

Intel CPU Spec: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

Model Number - AN515-51
CPU - Intel 15-7300HQ 2.5GHz
GPU - GEForce GTX 1050 TI
Operating system - Win 10 64-bit
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2x 16gb modules per slot)
SSD: 1TB  NVME 
HDD: 2TB WD Cuda Fire

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening MyFirstNitroV !

The issue is far beyond processor support.
    Chipset and controllers must support what is not the case.
    They limit to a maximum of 32Gb in total (16Gb per slot)

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Has anyone used the 32gb DDR4 SODIMM that are now available on their Nitro 5's ? I know that the 7th Gen CORE i5 supports 64gb on 2 Channels. However, has anyone tried this since Memory prices have dropped like a rock! (1x 32gb sodimm for $119 US)

Intel CPU Spec: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

Model Number - AN515-51
    CPU - Intel 15-7300HQ 2.5GHz
    GPU - GEForce GTX 1050 TI
    Operating system - Win 10 64-bit
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2x 16gb modules per slot)
    SSD: 1TB  NVME 
    HDD: 2TB WD Cuda Fire

Your model only supports 32gb max in a 16gb x 16gb  combination and NOT a single 32gb stick. I repeat 32gb single RAM stick is NOT supported by your model, sorry.

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• MyFirstNitroV
    MyFirstNitroV Member Posts: 2 New User
    There is no separate NorthBridge Chipset (where Memory is normally managed on the Front Side BUS)  for Kaby Lake Processors (i5-7300HQ) it's built into that class of processor, so that does not make sense.  
  • MaClane
    Chipset and motherboard internal controllers.
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andylb
    There is no separate NorthBridge Chipset (where Memory is normally managed on the Front Side BUS)  for Kaby Lake Processors (i5-7300HQ) it's built into that class of processor, so that does not make sense.  

Whatever chipset etc.. makes no difference, it doesn't support a single 32gb stick or 64gb total

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    It looks like you have a couple options then:
    1.  Believe what everyone has told you.
    2.  Buy some RAM and try it.
    3.  Wait around for someone else to try it and hope they let everyone know the result.

Go with 2.  You know you want to.

I would try it but I just bought RAM and opted for 2x8gb because for what I do, 16gb is enough.  I've got 32gb on my workstation and even with two versions of Revit open with mechanical models open in each (with architectural models linked in), several autocad files open, half a dozen microstation files open, outlook, excel and half a dozen tabs in chrome open, I think I was using around 20gb (and on 3 monitors I couldn't see half of what was open).

Not sure I want to know what people who actually need 64gb of RAM are doing.  We went with 32 on our workstations because we expect that we will be using the same hardware for 6-7 years (our last systems had Zeon E2-5620's that had just came out when we got them).
  • MaClane
    Chipset and internal controllers limit RAM addressing when certain instructions are not embargoed or cannot be implemented due to the physical hardware limit.
    That simple...

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• andylb
    @MyFirstNitroV This is the official Acer supported RAM configuration chart for your model. Neither a single 32gb stick or 64gb of RAM is supported

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★