I need a USB-C to HDMI cable for a Chromebook CB514-1H

C2Denmark
C2Denmark Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Does anyone know of a USB-C to HDMI cable that works with an ACER Chromebook CB514-1H-C7YG?

I need to connect a HDMI cable to a Chromebook CB514-1H. This one does not have connectors for HDMI, but DisplayPort Alt. Mode on USB Typc-C Standard version 1.0

We have bought an Cable - but it did not work. Would rather not do it again. Have asked ACER Support, but they have no solution.

ACER have a USB-C to HDMI Cable (Model: NP.CAB1A.012), but I don't know if it works, and ACER does not guarantee anything.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    Sorry, the USB C displayport output is designed for external monitors with a displayport input with an inexpensive passive USBC-2-DisplayPort  output adapter cable. If you want to connect it to a monitor with only HDMI input, then you will also need  a more expensive active DisplayPort-2-HDMI output adapter cable. That's because the Chromebook's single mode displayport signal must also be converted to an HDMI signal to work on an HDMI monitor. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• C2Denmark
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you have a specific proposal for a cable adapter that should work.
    Or better if you know a cable adapter has been tested with a Chromebook CB514-1H.

• JackE
    Sorry I don't because it can be complicated with single mode DP output. I think you first need a passive male USBC to female displayport adapter. Then connect it to an active male displayport to male hdmi signal converter. It might be simpler and less expensive just to buy  a newer monitor that accept both DisplayPort and HDMI signal inputs. They're not that expensive. Some even accept the older VGA signal inputs as well. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• C2Denmark

Thanks again for your reply.

It is our son who uses the computers in school. It is the projector in the classroom that he should be able to connect to the computers, so your suggestion to buy a new monitor is not an option. It will probably be the computers that need replacing. It's a pity, because otherwise it's a fine computer

• JackE
    What is the brand and model number of the projector? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• C2Denmark
    The projector/monitor is a Promethean, model number AP4-75
  • JackE
    You might want to register and post this issue on one of the promethean forums. They seem to have  pretty active communities.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ